1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Survey

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Catriona, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

404 - Page not found when linking from the email.

You are having fun aren't you?

Kate

2. galeforce1

galeforce1 Member

Glad it's not just me that's getting it then![​IMG]

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

It's not just the survey - I tried to access the APOY page and got the same response.

4. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sony... 10.2 Mega pixels... what's the story behind the making of this image? Camera destroyed on purpose or Spares and Repairs to make an otherwise dull 404 error page a little more interesting :)

5. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Me too.

Same error page as Atavar.

6. KarenS

KarenS Online Manager

The survey link should be working now. The tracking code that the newsletter adds onto the end of links broke the url but we've managed to fix this now.

The APOY page is here: http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/apoy please do let me know which link it is that's not working for you, and I'll look at that too.

7. Catriona

Thank you.
    I was able to click onto the survey link, but quite frankly, after getting through some of it, it became quite intrusive with financial questions and I shall not be completing it.

8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I have completed it but have to agree that in places it got far too intrusive especially with regard to finance - kept looking for a 'Mind your own business' option...;)

9. Molendinar

Molendinar Well-Known Member

Just do what everyone does on that kind of survey question ….. lie!!

What I kept looking for, was the "neutral" option between "agree" and "disagree", for the questions I don't care about one way or the other. When I saw there wasn't one (this was in the printed version) I gave up on it.

10. Catriona

I agree, too, about the lack of I don't care one way or the other option.

What really made me stop was the thought of telephone calls and/or emails encouraging me to take up subscriptions or buy the latest gadget or gizmo.

11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

It was the apoy14 link that did not work for several days and I was getting worried as the closing date is fast approaching. However it works now and I have just submitted an entry so panic over

12. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Another not a form filler.

The questions follow the usual pattern, and make the results valuable as marketing data to be sold on to other concerns. (as do the Tick boxes)
    All at the marginal cost of a low range camera.

No thanks..............

13. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

The AP survey is essentially the same as it has been for the last 10 years at least – it's only ever updated, never written again from scratch. I presume the personal questions are to provide data on readership to advertisers etc (they like to know that kind of thing) but of course you're free to leave it blank if you'd prefer. In fact the whole survey can be done anonymously. You only need to provide your details if you want to win the camera.

14. PhotoEcosse

I think that is a perfectly reasonable position.

The main incentive for completing the survey is the hope that your views and preferences will influence future editorial direction and, hence, give a magazine even more to one's liking.

The added incentive of a draw for a prize does carry costs which you either accept or don't accept.

15. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Yes, I chose to fill in the survey, with most of the personal information, but left out my name & address - I'm not that interested in the camera on offer, but I would like my feelings to be known about the content of the mag.

16. Catriona

If I truly thought it was all about the magazine, I would have continued. But having experienced ipcmedia's selling techniques after my husband died (even though I had told them when I stopped his subscriptions) - it really held me back. I get enough telephone interruptions now, without any more.

17. PhotoEcosse

Kate,

I think that the "financial" questions are in order that the advertising department can compile a "reader profile" to help them attract the right sort of advertisers and, hence, keep the price of the magazine down.

However, I share your hate of unsolicited phone calls. I subscribe to the Telephone Preference Scheme - which is about as much use as a chocolate fire-guard. I all use a "Callblocker" device on my phone line, which is a bit more effective. Any sales calls that get through are treated to a forceful suggestion involving sex and travel. The ones I really hate are those with a recorded message. There is little satisfaction to be gained from directing a stream of ripe expletives at a machine.

Eric

18. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Such surveys have been used for years to find out changes in the demographic of readerships. and to maximize the commercial value of space advertising.

I thought to check the questions for basic types and by far the largest category was for commercial intelligence and marketing (24 questions)
    Followed by personal questions of commercial value (8 questions)
    The least questions concerned magazine content and interest (5)

This is perfectly normal for this sort of commercial survey.

But it is far too blunt a tool to use for editorial content or planning.
    It is a far better tool to provide advertisers with good demographic data, on which to make targeting and financial/space decisions. It is certain that they will require such data before committing themselves to these pages.

19. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

As all of us who buy the magazine are multi-millionaires who spend at least half our income on cameras, and are therefore irresistible to advertisers, I think we should all fill in the survey with absolute honesty...

Cheers,

R.

20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Like it.
    But only up to a point. Would advertisers spend so much in sponsorship of our website if they knew how hard up we really are?