1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supersonic passenger aircraft by 2029....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dangie, Jun 5, 2021.

1. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Despite Concord having the air worthiness of a tin shed :) (Note smiley:)). Not many fighter aircraft that could catch it.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

There was a truly dreadfull movie involving Concorde, fighters and missiles: The Concorde ... Airport '79 - Wikipedia.

Highly recommended - that you miss it! ;)

3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

But great fun when I saw a 70mm print on a 60+ feet screen ...
    It lacked the glamour of Gloria Swanson (playing herself) that enlivened Airport 75.

4. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I have every intention of missing it :).

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I would like to know how said H bombs were to be deployed through the fuel tanks!

Catriona likes this.
  6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I said Concorde had the airworthiness STATUS of a tin shed. Smiley not withstanding, there is a considerable difference.

7. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

OK, OK, so I misread the post
    Will withdraw from the discussion.

8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Carefully? ;)

Learning likes this.
  9. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I'd virtually forgotten them now they are no longer based just down the road at Cardington

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The crews on such a mission would undoubtedly have become martyrs. The easiest solution to dropping the bombs through the fuel tanks was JFDI. Fuel was probably pumped all over the place to maintain trim. Perhaps the tanks to be breached might be empty of fuel. They'd still be martyrs.

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Fuel was NEVER dumped to maintain trim, it was moved between trim tanks.

One problem that all bombers have is that the bomb load needs to be distributed evenly about the centre of mass, unfortunately, so does the fuel!

The requirement for trim tanks arises from the shift in the centre of pressure at supersonic speeds, no I can't remember which way, it shifts the other way on slowing down.

12. Catriona

To be fair, Learning said Pumped, not dumped.

Learning likes this.
  13. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I have just read this and I feel that reading the previous comments on the thread would simply ruin the moment.

Graeme

WillieJ and Catriona like this.
  14. Catriona

Ha! Understandable.
    :D

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

He did, but in my defence I was out of the house soon after eight this morning!

Catriona likes this.