1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supersonic passenger aircraft by 2029....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dangie, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

No problem at all. We never retreat.

2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Couldn't make it up could you?

Catriona likes this.
  3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Apart from Dunkirk, Norway, North Africa, Burma, Crete, Greece, Spring offensive 1918, Mons 1914, Marne 1914...

gray1720, WillieJ and Learning like this.
  4. Learning

This proposed aircraft is a loser from the start. It is a retrograde step and is slower than Concord,
    Real progress with intercontinental travel will be near earth orbital ballistic. Sidney to London in forty five minutes plus an hour in a holding pattern over Southern England plus 2 hours in customs + 4 hours through immigration.

5. Learning

No need to.
    Quite. Reverse is useful. It is essential for a three point turn.

6. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

For what it is worth (very little) in my jet setting business travel days I would have loved to have travelled on Concord because it was simply a beautiful iconic aircraft. OK magnificant but stupid - a bit like a much more upmarket take on my old mkii Moto Guzzi Le Mans - rated to a tad over 140 mph so obviously not in the same league but also very low on the practicality stakes.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

From the country that brought you the best tank in the world (Challenger 2):- The worst tank in the world!

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

For those who use Facebook, there is a group on there that thinks Concorde should be returned to service. They spout absolute rubbish, as one might expect, unfortunately for the proponents of such a return their comments are regularly answered by people with real Concorde experience. For what it is worth, Concorde has the airworthiness status of a tin shed.

Catriona likes this.
  9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

What intrigued me were the circular holes in the wings as it was being built, and the miles of cables inside the walls. It was very interesting to see it in that state.
    I did have a very nice lunch with all the worthies - who all stood until I had sat down. Glad I was able to cope with it all!

10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I thought that the German Leopard was considered the best tank in the world?

11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I think that's a case of German, German overalls. Mind you, it seems that some British tanks are finding new roles, what with the rise in crime...

Tank and police car Yorkshire Air Museum DSC02609.JPG

12. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

While supersonic mass passenger aircraft may be a dead end, I do think there would be a market for supersonic "executive" jets, maybe 15-30 passengers. There are, I think, companies investigating that market.
    You're not going to be pushing a wide bodied jet to supersonic speeds without a humongous amount of power.

13. Andrew Flannigan

I suppose you could always stick a second seat in one of these...

Typhoon II fighter at Dawlish Airshow 7936.JPG

14. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

15. Andrew Flannigan

It'll be interesting to see if they can succeed. It would most likely reduce sound polution as well, for those under its route.

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Concorde could cruise at supersonic speeds for hours, a fighter might manage a few minutes.

Catriona likes this.
  17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Has the Leopard been battle tested?

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

May be I should point out that fairly quickly BA had more supersonic flying hours than all the world's air forces combined!

Catriona likes this.
  19. Andrew Flannigan

Damn! I forgot the smiley... :confused:
    Didn't do especially well in Syria when deployed against ISIS (according to reports): Leopard 2 - Wikipedia

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  20. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

When Concorde was under development, my father was still working in Fleet Street. I recall him telling me that 'the business' was rife with rumours that one of the 'conservative' papers was about to publish an article suggesting that Concorde was really being developed as a successor to the existing V-Bombers and that its range was intended to allow 'delivery' far beyond Moscow, but a D-Notice was received and the article was killed. Its passenger payload was small, but the body of the aeroplane was quite large enough for a few hydrogen bombs.

I have not heard or read anything about this since.