1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supersonic passenger aircraft by 2029....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dangie, Jun 5, 2021.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The general idea is to get from point A to point B faster, both being points on the surface of an oblate spheroid separated by a considerable distance. Going straight down those points could only, realistically, be separated by about 45,000" or 12.5Km before the oblate spheroid intervened.

2. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

While Skylon *could* carry 30 people into orbit it's main purpose is as an autonomous launch vehicle.
    Not sure that the space shuttle was any safer.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Those on the space shuttle weren't paying passengers, we are, or were, talking supersonic airliners which is a different matter.

4. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

OK, thread drift.
    REL are talking about using SABRE in a passenger aircraft, but it looks like a different design, and only going for Mach 5 within the atmosphere, rather than Mach 25 into orbit.
    Not sure if liquid hydrogen is an entirely good idea for civil aviation though.

5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

FTFY ;):D:oops:

MJB and spinno like this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

If you follow the history of the project it's quite clear that Reaction Engines Ltd grew out of HOTOL. Like the earlier project, Skylon has built up an impressive list of missed deadlines but people were still dropping money into its begging bowl as late as 2018. It would appear that Rolls Royce and the rest of the boys in the band see potential in SABRE technology; what they might think of Skylon is a matter for speculation.

7. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Yes, I know full well that the Skylon project grew out of the failed HOTOL.
    Deadlines always slip in these sort of projects, doesn't make them any less valid.

8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Having been on Concorde when she was being built at Filton and afterwards at Heathrow, I cannot see the attraction other than spending less time in the air than pre and post-flight fiascos. A sewerage pipe is a close approximation of the room you have on-board. Yes, she was beautiful in flight, but so noisy.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

sorry, what did you say?:rolleyes:

Catriona likes this.
  10. Andrew Flannigan

Nothing will make investores take their money and run away faster than that sort of statement!

11. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Bound to be, by the physics. All the supersonic aircraft are long and thin.

12. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Anyone who doesn't understand that slippages can occur in that sort of exercise shouldn't be investing.

13. Andrew Flannigan

That's the whole point, isn't it. People balance the risk against the reward and make their decision.

14. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Or wait for a Government bail out...

15. Catriona

Or yet another modification.

16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

followed by another Government hand out...

Catriona likes this.
  17. Catriona

Sure happened with Defence contracts.

18. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Need some more cash, here you go a few million quid for you, just make sure it works for that nice country...

Catriona likes this.
  19. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Unlike the Ajax tank, that doesn't work and is no good for Italian exports as an 8" high obstacle will stop them reversing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57348573

AndyTake2 likes this.
  20. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Your comment about the sewerpipe is about right. When Her Majesty flew out to Riyadh on Concorde half a lifetime ago I had the opportunity to go on board, and decided then that it was not for me.

This did,however, come back to lose me more brownie points later than I care to remember. Back in the day I always flew first class- at the cost of my employer I might add. I had to make a trip to the US around 1990 which was half business and half attending chamber of commerce presentations with a Cyprus government mission. As the ministers were taking their ladies, I decided to do the same, but we travelled separately to the politicos. After a fairly arduous trip we ended up returning via New York but BA had overbooked and we couldn't get on our flight. As first class passengers we were offered an 'upgrade' to Concorde. When I declined I got more earache from the distaff side than I care to remember. :D

Catriona likes this.