1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunset glow

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Oleg2016, Apr 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Oleg2016

Oleg2016 Well-Known Member

sundown
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Without a foreground or context, they are really just what people describe as ABS Another Bl**dy Sunset shots. There is one every day and pointing a camera straight at it with little attempt at composition just records the ordinary (but like a rose, quite beautiful).

Oleg2016 likes this.
  3. Oleg2016

4. RovingMike

Identical doesn't come into it. They are all about what nature did and nothing about what the photographer did. You have to use your skill to enhance what is placed there by nature. If you just snap or record it, that's perfectly valid, but a bit like doing a simple plunge dive in the Olympic finals. Everyone still hits the water, but some do it with a greater degree of difficulty and get higher marks.

5. Oleg2016

you're right, I have a lot to learn , thanks for the advice,so I'm on the forum
    My pictures is far from perfect ! :)
    all sunsets=ABS?
    after all, pure nature is good , I am not a supporter editing

6. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Well, it's a strong possibility that, from a Russian point of view, this rising sun was somewhere over Japan:):):)

Oleg2016 likes this.
  7. Oleg2016

Thanks Mike! :);)

8. RovingMike

Not necessarily. Anything really original is usually spared that title. Remember the sun is usually a far better light source for photo subjects than main subject itself (I know you have a lot of nice clouds), but at sunset, the best picture is often behind you. Just pointing a camera straight at the setting sun does look to many like a very basic beginner thing to do, because it is so obvious. Of course it can be done very well, so can a rose and anything that starts out beautiful, which is what people really want to see. It is nothing to do with editing, just great photography. Google sunset pictures and decide which ones you appreciate best (hopefully not the ridiculously over coloured ones :) )

Oleg2016 likes this.
  9. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Everybody takes them when they start, so don't worry about them not being particularly original. I have umpteen similar shots from my early days. Later we find that foreground and mid distance being included are what really sets things up.

Oleg2016 likes this.
  10. Oleg2016

Many thanks! Very valuable advice :):):)

11. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

The third shot with more of the water and reflections showing would have been nice it also need the level and contrast abjusted to give it more highlights in the clouds.

The last shot had possibilities to use the people on the right as a subject if you were closer.

As for the statement a sunset happens every day well that is just rubbish. The sun rises and sets every day and on may accasions it is a very boring and grey none event.

The key is to use the light of a good sunrise/sunset to enhance your subject.

Oleg2016 likes this.