1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Sufficient Ventilation

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by KierFX, Jan 22, 2017.

1. KierFX

KierFX Well-Known Member

I'm currently loving producing prints in the darkroom - its so magic!

However, the other day, I did prints in my light tight bedroom, which had no ventilation. After being in there for 4 hours or so I felt a bit woozy and after researching I realise the importance of ventilation. I plan to get a shed this spring to have a permanent darkroom with ventilation. Until then, would the fan in my bathroom be sufficient ventilation or not?

Thanks
    Kier

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

If you can calculate the air changes in terms of litres per time unit and the volume of your bathroom, you should be able to work out how much more pleasant it will be

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I was going to warn you to be careful as Howlett (him what done that iconic picture of Brunel) is reputed to have did young from exposure to photographic chemicals.

However, it turns out it was actually typhoid that got him.

Be careful anyway!

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I suspect that if you were to spend four hours in your bedroom without a change of air you might feel a bit unwell regardless of what you were, or weren't doing, if it is light tight it is also more or less airtight as well, add chemicals into the mix and that you were active in close proximity to them! It might be advisable in future to take breaks and leave the door open whilst you have a drink and go outside for a few minutes.

5. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

As above. Don't spend your whole time in the darkroom - have a few breaks. If you were doing it for a living and having to spend long hours in there, well maybe some form of ventilation might be necessary. Personally, I've never had ventilation in any of my darkrooms for the simple fact that I also don't have running water and I have to make frequent trips downstairs to the bathroom to put the prints in the wash. This gives me ample fresh air and some useful exercise to boot.

6. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

My present darkroom is a converted utility room which originally didn't have a door (nor door frame), so when I installed a door, I made a simple black painted labyrinth above the door frame, and installed two very cheap 120V fans - wired in series. One blowing in, the other blowing out. Simple, somewhat noisy, but effective, and my increasing deafness makes the noise less objectionable as time goes on!