1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subscription rip-off by Time Inc (magazinesdirect.com)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Draig, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

In September, my subscription to AP and What Digital camera expired – so I renewed the WDC subscription in October – with no problem (via Magazines Direct.com that both magazines put their name too for their readers/customers to subscribe with).

Imagine my shock when the December issue of WDC arrives to find out that it is the last issue – despite the previous month running a massive spread advertising for readers to take out a subscription with Magazinesdirect.com (a division of Time Inc).

I then asked for a refund of my subscription – only to get an email some weeks later saying that they were transferring the WCD subscription to AP.

So, I contacted magazines direct and asked them to refund the money as what they had done was both wrong and irresponsible in giving me a product I had not asked for, and they apologised and said they would send me a refund.

This never turned up – so I called them again – and on the 24th November I had the following email:

Dear Dave,

Subscription Number: *******

Thank you for contacting Magazines Direct.

We have checked our records, and can confirm that the subscription has already been cancelled. The last issue sent was the December 2016 edition. We have already processed the refund. You will receive the refund within 10 working days.

We do hope that you will continue to take an interest in our publications.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Kind regards,

Sarah Shaw
    Magazines Direct Customer Service

So, I assumed that they would this time keep the promise made to me as I had this in writing. However, on the 2nd of December I received a letter through the post – telling me that they were going to put the subscription onto AP – but this time I would receive 2 issues of AP for every one of WDC!

Again, I contacted them and said this was not acceptable and I had already been told that I was going to get a refund within 10 days from the 24th November.

However – on the 8th December I received yet another email as follows:

Dear Dave,

Subscription Number: ********

Thank you for contacting Magazines Direct.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused and we would like to thank you for your patience in this matter. We can confirm that we have cancelled your digital subscription with immediate effect.

A full refund will be automatically sent to your billing address. We kindly ask you to allow up to ten working days. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Kind regards,

Sarah Shaw
    Magazines Direct Customer Service

However, on the 9th December I received a written letter dated 8th December saying they were transfering the subscription to AP with no mention of not changing this is - it was presented as this is what is happening!!

So, I called them yet again on the 9th December and asked to speak to a supervisor – I was put onto a ‘floor supervisor’ and I explained the problem and asked why they were

1 – refusing to refund my money as it had now been over a month since I first asked and

2 – why they had made the decision to give me a subscription to an entirely different magazine than what I had paid for?

I was told that this decision to give a different product than what I paid for was an ‘editorial’ decision!!

He apologised and promised me that I would get my money back and that a supervisor would call me by Tuesday 13th December to discuss this with me – needless to say this was yet another promise made just to get me off the phone as Tuesday came and went – and no refund and no phone call.

So, today on 15th December – I made yet another phone call and spoke to another supervisor – and this time he said his name was Cheslin Beukes – who again said what had happened was wrong and gave me loads of apologies and promised to go sort this out and would call me back within the hour.

I did try to explain to him that not giving the customer the goods they paid for was wrong – imagine going to a shop and paying for a basket of shopping but being given something else instead – and he agreed that he understood this and would find out why this had happened as I pointed out that it would not be just me that had had this happen to them. I also pointed out the broken promises of being called back – and at 13.54hrs he said he definitely would call me back within an hour.

As I type this – it is now 1900 hours on 15th December and I still have not heard anything.so it appears that yet again promises are made to get rid of problem calls.

Now, I am left with potentially seeking some sort of legal advice as clearly they have no intention of refunding my subscription nor of contacting me. Plus, as AP have given their name to this company – and they told me this was an editorial decision by the magazine to do this, it also gives them a bit of a black mark and does mean that I will not be renewing my subscription to AP either.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It's infuriating but before losing your cool, contact your local trading standards office and provide them with all the information. They may be able to sort it out for you or tell you who can.

3. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

I had yet another email today promising me the refund within 10 days - with no apology, explination etc or anything at all to do with the complaint I had sent them, and also telling me I may get one or two more issues until they stop the process - err this is what you already have done - what a joke this company is.
    Andrew - thanks for that - I work in the legal world shall we say - ;)

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

In that case - - - Go get 'em, tiger! :D

Draig likes this.
  5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You are obviously paying for the duplicate copies some of us have been getting for the last few months.

Draig likes this.
  6. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

Arr Tis being discussed next week.