1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subscription price increas

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by mrganderson, Dec 16, 2014.

1. mrganderson

mrganderson Well-Known Member

I recently recieved a notice stating that my quarterly subcription of AP is going up by £10.00 thats a 50% increase. At £20.00 per quarter i thought AP was a good price. However to suddenly jump to £30.00 is a bit of a shock, and it will mean i will reconsider if i wish to continue.
    I was just wondering how and why this came about, and what other subscribers thought.

2. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

3. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

It is still being advertised at close to £20 per quarter by DD. That's a 33% saving on the newsagent prices - plus you get it delivered post-free and several days earlier than it appears on the newsstands.

But cost is an issue. A couple of years ago I was horrified to discover that I had subscriptions to 14 photographic and computer magazines. Goodness knows what that cost every month. I have now cut it back to one - AP. AP plus the several "free" (you know what I mean) magazines that I get via RPS will do me for the foreseeable future.

4. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

I contacted our subscription dept about this and they say that the UK renewal rate is currently £24.74 a quarter, and when the rate goes up it'll be to £25.50. They have no clue where the £30 comes from. Perhaps you could contact the number on your letter. (Subscription fulfillment is done by an external company).
    The cover price for a year's worth of AP, without a subscription, is over £150, so £24.74 per quarter is still pretty good.

5. art

art Well-Known Member

Is this just another symptom of the decline of printed media in the internet age?

It would be very interesting to see the circulation figures broken down by age but my guess is that most magazine subscriptions are heavily weighted towards the older age groups as the generations growing up with the internet find they have no need for printed media and never get into the habit of buying newspapers and magazines.

Newspapers have been experimenting with 'pay walls' as a way of compensating for declining circulations for many years now but with only limited success. This is not really surprising because the internet experience is that if something cannot be found with the first click then there are plenty of other options requiring nothing more than a few additional clicks.

30 years ago, AP was my (and I suspect many others) 'go to' magazine if I wanted to find a review of a new camera. Later (when I could afford it) I subscribed and it was pretty much my only window into the world of photography.

Today, if I want to find out about a new camera or lens I just google for a review and instantly get a page of links to various reviews. Sure, they will be of variable quality, but we soon learn to determine the respected websites. And it's the same with almost any subject really.

I know there are many people who much prefer a printed magazine because that's what they are used to, which is perfectly fine. But the fact is, they are a dying segment of the market. Times move on and the digital revolution is affecting our printed media as much as it has our photography itself.

6. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

There's a lot of truth in this. Circulations of printed magazines ARE in general decline, though the pace varies from one market to another and between different magazines. AP's has actually gone UP since the relaunch in June. (This is against a backdrop of double digit decline in the photo magazine market as a whole.) This is not the reason for the price increase though. That's attributable to rising costs everywhere - paper prices, print and distribution costs etc. But its not going to go up by much: 4p per copy, and 76p per quarter for subscribers.

As for the age of our readership, according to our recent survey, one third of our readers are over 65, and a third are under 50 (of whom about half are in their forties). The other third is in between. Roughly. But surveys are overwhelmingly biased towards older, retired people, as they're the ones with the most time to fill them out. Overall our average is now about 50, which is my age. Among subscribers though it's older - closer to 60.

Interesting fact – since the redesign our reader's average age has gone down by five years and the percentage of female readership has doubled.

7. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I'm being charged £29.11 every 12 - 13 weeks; am I being diddled ?

8. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

As with most publications, subscriptions are offered at various price points throughout the year. I believe that initial subscriptions are often sold at a loss. The latest subscription offers are regularly advertised in AP or can be found on the site/forum header.

Regards
    Mark

9. galeforce1

galeforce1 Member

I was paying £17.49p a quarter last year under the offer I signed up with, and now it has gone up to £29.11p, which is a very big increase.

I'm considering cancelling this and might go for the cheaper digital version instead, though I do prefer a printed copy as it's more convenient to read.

10. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

You pays your money and you takes your choice :confused:

Alan

11. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

It's still cheaper than buying from the newsagent:
    51 x £2.95/4 = £37.61! [​IMG]

12. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

It's the same old story - new subscribers get preferential rates; the best thing to do is to not renew your subscription, just take out a new one at the preferential rate.

Same with National Trust - if you renew, it costs £99 a year for a couple, but if you let it run out and re-subscribe as a new member, you can get it for about £71. If you get it through Quidco, you get another £3-odd back.

You would think that these organisations would appreciate existing members renewing, but no, they would rather either get you to pay a higher rate or cancel and renew. CRAZY!

13. Roy5051

The last one I bought a couple of weeks ago was £2.99, a 4p increase. Time was when editors would announce any price increase, with the necessary apology, about two weeks before the increase took place. Only good manners I think. Nowadays, you don't know until the newsagent asks you for more money (unless I missed the announcement!)

14. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

From this thread 63 days ago

Plus other thread mentions and single & double page adverts placed by the subscriptions dept. in AP

15. Roy5051

Thank you, I missed that. Would have been nice for it to have been announced in the magazine, though (or perhaps I missed that as well:)).

As a matter of interest, one of the reasons for the increase is distribution costs - surely not, with the fuel prices falling and wages in the doldrums, which must make up at least half of the distribution costs. Ah, I know, if fuel hadn't got cheaper, the magazine would now be costing £3.01:)