1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subscriber of the Month...

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Paul M, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

Great way to alienate those of us who stupidly pay the cover price in an attempt to support the High Street, a feature that actually excludes us - constructive suggestion - treat all your readers equally rather than discriminating against those who are not using what appears now to be your favoured purchase model!

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

????

3. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

You should have signed off as Mr Angry of .....

5. PeteRob

Catriona likes this.
  6. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

Does it sound like a rant! Sorry, it's just frustration. At a time when magazines are really struggling why introduce a feature that excludes people who are supporting and buying your product?

7. PeteRob

A subscriber is one who supports, endorses or contributes financially. Thus, the proposition includes anyone who buys the magazine (with the implication that they do so with the intention of support). All that remains is to identify yourself as a subscriber who buys the magazine weekly at a retail location and who would like to star! Mind you, I had a third look at the mag. and still didn’t see it, so it doesn’t appear that any AP subscriber will see the winner unless they look at the home web page.

8. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

High Street RIP.
    Once upon a time I too used to buy AP at local shop, but the shop stopped stocking it (welcome to rural England) so I got a subscription. Now, since Covid-19, I haven't been inside a shop for months, and still have the subscription.

9. PeteRob

It was always a race to get the last one - even in Chester with several stockists. I can't remember how long now we have had it delivered but I got it from the high street for years and years.

10. Chester AP

Also, when buying at a newsagent I might sometimes decide not to bother (too many reviews of expensive kit or too much 'creative' image manipulation - the cover text can put you off as easily as temp you). So although as a subscriber each issue costs less, I probably spend a similar amount of money over a year.

11. PeteRob

Reading it in the newsagents isn’t fair!

12. Chester AP

The cover tags were usually enough, which still sometimes applies. I still find a correlation between these and how much of interest there is in an issue, but at least having every issue ensures that if something of interest wasn't deemed exciting enough for the cover I still see it. I suspect that I'm not a typical reader, or more likely not the type of reader that most advertisers have any interest in.

13. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

Unfortunately not as you are required to submit your subscriber/account number. Also unlike all other routes to submission which go to an anonymous email address you even get to send it to Geoff.

If you’d like to be featured here, please email geoff.harris@kelsey.co.uk with your details and some information about your photography, including your subscriber number/account number (please don’t send in lots of high-res images at this stage).

14. PeteRob

Then they should call it subscription holder of the month!

15. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

Perhaps it should be seen as an incentive to subscribe...

There are sections in the magazine that anyone can send in a photo, like the #APPicOfTheWeek. So why not make something just for the subscribers?

Nigel_Atherton likes this.
  16. PeteRob

...... take out a subscription.

17. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I subscribe but I do not buy from a retailer. I do not even subscribe directly. Kelsey still get their share.

18. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

I thought this was the part of the forum where you made suggestions to those who published the magazine - as that isn't you maybe with respect I can wait until the the editor answers?! Not that I expect that to happen :(

19. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

This is something new that is just run online by Geoff, who is the website editor. It doesn't appear in print. The magazine provides multiple opportunities for readers to be published, including the four images used in the AP Pic of the Week feature, a reader portfolio most weeks, and a camera club profile too. We also have a monthly 'My Favourite Kit feature where a reader gets to talk about, well, a favourite bit of kit, illustrated by their pictures, and we also use readers pics in Secondhand Classic.
    And yes, our favoured purchase model is of course a weekly subscription, especially in the current landscape of lockdowns and many people generally wanting to avoid going out. The benefits both to AP as a business, and to the reader, seem too obvious to need to be explained.

20. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking time to reply Nigel, appreciated. My original post was meant to be feedback to a feature which in trying to drive people to your subscription model could (in my case had) unintentionally alienate readers who for whatever reason choose to buy from the High Street. IMO Geoff is making a great job editing the website and I visit the home page regularly. As a suggestion to encourage me to subscribe I would like to see subscriber covers. As @Chester AP mentioned the cover tags can be overpowering and cover images are chosen which allow the space for these to be included. As subscribers are already onboard, a cover without the tags, or better still an alternative image not needing to meet the formula of the newsstand edition, especially as this is a photography publication would be a great incentive to sign up.