1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid or what?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mark101, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I can't believe the last 24 hours, and I wasn't even there!
    My Wife's shift started at 7 am , she got to work only to find someone had changed the shift to 9.30 start, so she got on with things rather than come home. To make matters worse, rather than finishing at 4 pm she was now working till 9 30 pm. Just when it couldn't get any worse, an employee, who is 2 months post heart attack turns up for work feeling ill with cold like symptoms and then refuses to go home, refuses to wear a mask due to breathing issues. Then all the medication issues start to surface ... basically errors due to sloppy record keeping. These staff are looking after highly vulnerable individuals and couldn't organise a pee up in a brewery. Would you trust your vulnerable relative with this lot ?

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

No, but how would I know what's happening without being told.

Catriona and Zou like this.
  3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

No but your wife must trust them enough to work for them?

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

People who need to earn a salary often do not have much choice for whom they work.

Footloose likes this.
  5. Mark101

Well that's actually true. My wife sadly can't drive, she has tried lessons twice, but a kid ran out in front on her on a lesson years ago who she hit, and try as she might she just can't handle the lessons, and this restricts her employment choices in a rural area. She has worked is an assortment of care facilities
    over the years and they are all pretty much full of the same attitudes. As a previous employee working on CQC inspection teams within the Adult Social Care sector, I can attest that even the very best of these settings is really simply only passsible. Many of the staff are on minimum wage, are overworked, staffing has been reduced in recent times due to Company and LA budget cuts. Some staff really don't want to do the job and have a lais ser faire attitude to what is a very responsible role. What has always worried me a great deal in these care setting is how terrible management can be towards staff, but on the other hand it's rather concerning how many staff in the sector tend to have mental health issues, addiction issues or money issues. This tends to lead to some pretty nasty situations such as theft, bad behaviour, including abuse of residents, even the theft of groceries in some semi independent community care settings would you believe.

My Wife I know is very caring, responsible and well trained with high moral standards, but her working life in these settings has always been a living hell and sadly the only way out is retirement, but as one of the Waspies the Government even robbed her of that at sixty.

Footloose, ascu75 and steveandthedogs like this.
  6. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I liked your post but it seems wrong to like it. As many of you know I get respite care and know first hand what you talk about. The local authorities make cut after cut and the ones that suffer are the staff and the people being cared for. Cuts in the care sector are hurtful and nasty but some of the careers are so loving and thoughtful it’s incredible. Tell your wife to keep on keeping on the Waspies are made of good stuff
    x Don

Zou and Mark101 like this.
  7. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I've had some issues with the care agency I use, but these are usually down to the crazy way people are assigned to us are given rotas that are neigh-on impossible to attend on the times given because the back-office staff aren't taking into account how long it takes someone to go from one appointment to another. This situation could be improved if the 'office' used something like google maps or the software used by the likes of DPD to plan the routes of delivery drivers, prior to notifying their care staff who they need to visit. There is also another issue, which I will comment on later today ...

8. Footloose

A few weeks ago I had someone from the Care Agency checking up on the performance of the PAs that visit us; the interesting thing about this was that I was informed about the rules they are supposed to comply with, including things like filling out the visits paperwork, which I had been formally informed about 2 months ago, that because the duties undertaken, logging in and out was now done via an App, this paperwork didn't have to be filled in, unless the app wouldn't work on their phones; Apparently, that's not the case and the log-sheets still have to be filled in as well, in case someone from the CQC visited me and wanted to see this paperwork. I can only presume the duplication of paperwork is so that someone at the CQC can compare it with the reports made out via the app which is being used.

I suppose it's so that people within the CQC can increase the number of people the NHS have treat suffering from piles, due to sitting around, passing bits of paper to each other? :rolleyes:

9. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

O
    on my last couple of visits to respite the staff have to count the tablets each time they dispense despite being kept in a locked cupboard that only they have a key for :eek: that’s CQC for you. X Don

10. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

There's a good reason for doing that, it's to protect staff. Years ago, a colleague was accused of stealing ?diazepam, managed to clear himself because in those days things in the locked cupboard had to be counted. It stopped being a requirement just before I started.

S

Mark101 likes this.
  11. Learning

I have always thought it wrong that travelling time between clients was not counted as working time. This is not a political left v right issue. It is fact that travelling between one client and another is an essential part of the job. I would prefer to avoid the sort of software used by DPD. If people going into vulnerable clients homes cannot be trusted to record their travelling time accurately then they should not be trusted to do that job.

Zou and steveandthedogs like this.
  12. Footloose

What concerns me, (and others) is that by using a guesstimate on how long it takes to go from A to B, agencies aren't allowing staff enough time, resulting a lot of inefficiencies and then re-scheduling of someone else to step in when things start running late. Yes, of course, they should be paid for the time they are travelling, but if the staff were allocated to cover specific areas, rather than galloping from one side of somewhere like Reading, to the other side, only to then go back to where they originally were, that's why a route planning app would turn out to be really time and cost-effective.

13. Learning

Of course its true. I would not have otherwise wrote it.

14. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

That's not that unusual.
    Back in 1980 I spent several months in hospital.
    The dispensing trolley for meds was locked, and they had to check the numbers of tablets each time any bottle was opened in order to dispense to patients. Any that were dropped on the floor immediately went in the bin.
    Not now.
    Last time I was in, there didn't seem to be the same checks, and I saw more than one fall on the floor and be put back onto the dispensing trolley for someone to have.

15. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Oh, do stop talking sense:p
    Planning?? We can't have any of that thank you very much.
    Money can't be spent on route planning apps when it is needed to create another level of management at inflated salaries.:D

ascu75 and Trannifan like this.
  16. Mark101

I believe conditions have changed since some court cases, but a bit like some fast food establishments, staff used to be considered off duty driving between clients and weren't paid for time driving between clients. Of course the vast majority of these care workers have to use their own vehicles moving job to job because 'having own car' is a requirement of employment. Basically this is all care on the cheap and the state of exhaustion (Leading to errors in care) can very often be excessive and down right dangerous.

steveandthedogs and ascu75 like this.
  17. Mark101

Medication on the floor is a very big no no now and it has to be written off as such. I had a couple of pills go on the floor in Addenbrooke's and I noted how they handled them. Even at my wife's place of employment, which is a care in the community facility, they send floor drops back to Lloyds Pharmacy for disposal.

ascu75 likes this.
  18. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

...yet members of parliament claim expenses for all their travel, on top of their obscenely high salaries. I'll repeat what I've written before: all politicians and their family members should receive only the national minimum wage during their term of office. That might just concentrate their minds on the problems that face the majority of citizens.

steveandthedogs and ascu75 like this.
  19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I remember how when my m-i-l was in a nursing home at the end, they put the pills out at people's places at the table. My m-i-l gaily took all the pills when she sat down in the wrong place and she ended up in hospital. Not much thought in that place, which cost an arm and a leg.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    ascu75 likes this.
  20. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Not only that, my Tory claims for "Dependant's Travel". This to get to her holiday home, sorry, constituency home.

As well as anything else she can think of to claim.
    Oh, and she voted to stop meals for hungry kids.

S

ascu75 likes this.