1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Stripped down camera

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by GeoffR, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I would suggest, that they have said that they are not going mirror less, because there is no obvious path open to them. Not because they do not want to make them. There is little chance that many users will be able to buy DSLRs in the future. And fewer still will want to go back to them.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It has to be said that viewing an image on a screen is a different experience from seeing it directly, either through a lens and mirror arrangement or with the naked eye. Despite all the perceived advantages of electronic view finders there will always be those who prefer the direct view, whether camera manufacturers are, or will be, willing to cater for them is another matter.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

You can say that again. Using my sole dSLR I produced this though on the focussing screen it looked entirely different. I rather like it...

D60_4303 Dinosaur statue at Strand Exmouth.JPG

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I like that as well. But what is it?
    Is it an artistic creation in metal or a living animal?

5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Was the head in shadow with the rest of the subject brightly lit, and spot metering exposure measurement used?
    If so, this might explain the result.

You get all sorts of strange beings out and about in half term week.

6. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Having recently purchased a used D500, I can assure you that is not stripped down in any way - apart from, maybe, the lack of "creative" modes. I am not sure that even now, some months after purchase and having read the instruction manual a couple of times, I have got to grips with all the options and features.... and boy, am I pleased with the results. No exhibition winners as I just don't have the eye for composition, but some of the resulting images are really surprisingly good to my eyes

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If I may, "stripped down" is a relative term where top end cameras are concerned. The D500 is most certainly stripped of many unnecessary features such a built in flash and scene modes but it most definitely isn't under specified. The only unwanted feature on any of the cameras I mentioned in post 1 is, as far as I am concerned, video capability but fortunately the video button can be reprogrammed to do something useful.