1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Striding out

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by gray1720, Dec 28, 2017.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Just happened across this from a couple of years ago - and rather liked the suggestions of movement and a journey.

Or am I just micturating to windward again?

Adrian

[​IMG]Striding out by gray1720, on Flickr

Andrew Flannigan and Geren like this.
  2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I think it's the angle you've shot from that totally makes this - it absolutely says 'still a way to go pal!'

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

My thought is that the dof is very shallow for the "going forth" theme. I'd like the destination to be in focus. What did you take this at, F1.4?

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I think I agree with Pete, my eye keeps getting drawn to the top of the hill, ignoring the figure. I think it is because the hill is quite light and the figure is dark.

S

5. gray1720

Hmm, looking at the EXIF, it seems to have been taken at f5.6! It claims the 55mm lens - I wonder whether I changed lenses and forgot to tell it which lens I had put on (using manual focus lenses on a DSLR)? Unless I focussed a very, very short way into the scene, because she is right on the edge of the area in focus.

Adrian

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes the DoF kills this for me. Just not an appropriate technique.

7. gray1720

...and all this time I've spent perfecting it, when I find a perfect example... I think I shall go sulk.

No, seriously, thanks for the feedback, I'll keep on being trying.

Adrian

8. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Interesting replies.This is not a bad shot at all and, being a rabid fellwalker misself, it gives me a sense of movement through the landscape without that landscape overwhelming me with pointless detail. I've taken many of these 'striding out' photo's and one thing I've learnt is that the quickest, surest way of losing your subject among the jumbled detail of heather and rock is to make everything sharp. Obviously it's not a hard-and-fast rule and sometimes it doesn't work but then again neither does keeping everything sharp

9. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Where was it taken? The rock has a lovely pinkish tint to it which reminds me of Torridon sandstone.

10. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Thinks: what about a crop to portrait or square?

Would keep the main subject whilst losing the distracting stuff on the left.

S

11. gray1720

It's Barrow in the North of the Lake District - I can see why you think Torridon, I think it's a little local geology going on, not a great range like Torridon is. Red Pike above Buttermere is so pink it's almost camp!

Adrian

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I don't as a rule comment in the appraisal forum but I'm just going to say that so far as I'm concerned the depth of field is just about spot on and the composition is well suited to what you're showing.

13. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

I usually do Barrow in tandem with Outerside and then onto Crag Hill/|Grasmoor. It's a nice walk. You're spot on about the aptly named Red Pike. We were up there earlier this month when there was a bit of snow about, but that redness really shows through.

14. gray1720

That's quite an ascent from Outerside! This, I think, is coming from Barrow Door, from the Stile End side, so you might have bypassed it, especially if you take the mine road up and over.

We usually do Barrow on the first evening as a "loosener", and sooner or later I end up trying to keep up with SWMBO's Dad on the Coledale horseshoe... He's only 27 years older than me!

Adrian

taxor likes this.
  15. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Clearly a marmite shot - I love this, and the DoF / darkness of the subject doesn't concern me at all when I look at it.

Geren likes this.
  16. roobarb

roobarb Well-Known Member

I actually think the OOF hill in the backgrounf conveys a sense of distance ahead of the walker rather than detracting. I suspect it would look quite flat if the background was in focus.

17. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

For me, the OOF starts about 5 paces ahead, so rules out conveying distance. A distant valley, or peak I might buy.