1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Street Portrait

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by AdrianSadlier, Aug 29, 2021.

1. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I went on a photowalk to try some "street" photography. I chickened out from "pure" street and went for some street portraiture. Handheld, natural light, complete stranger!

Any suggestions (other than "get out" of my comfort zone - I know I need to do that).

Adrian

daft_biker, ptermx and Geren like this.
  2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I think it's really excellent. Looks more studio posed than street, not sure that comes across at all because of lack of context.

AdrianSadlier likes this.
  3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Your comfort zone does mean that you have respect for what you are doing, no bad thing imho. If somebody shoved a camera in my face in the manner a few street photographers practice they would end up with bruises. So many are just exploiting their subjects, this one shows sensitivity, holding the dignity of the person intact.

RogerMac and AdrianSadlier like this.
  4. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^ What Mike says ^^^^^^^
    It is a great informal portrait which I like but it does not have any context. Was it part of a set or is this the only picture you took of him?

5. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

Nice shot

6. miked

miked Well-Known Member

That is beautifully exposed and - street or otherwise - is an image to be pleased with. Well done.

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Is there any way you can give the subject a print? Even if he's not happy, his mum will probably love it.

8. AdrianSadlier

Thanks for the feedback guys!

he was one of a group of three lads, who were eager to have their pictures taken. I had a good chat to them before taking any photos. One of many such images that night.

I gave them my email address and told them to drop me a message and that I would forward the photos on to them. They never sent a message. Thinking about it, I asked people for their email addresses after that, so I could cut out the middle step. I sent them all the images - none of them acknowledged so I don't know if they got them or if they were blocked by a spam filter their end.

I will follow up with them again shortly.

This is another one I got that night.

[​IMG]

Dan S, Learning, zx9r and 1 other person like this.
  9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I think people don't 'do' e-mail. Every interaction I've had with people where I've said I'll mail you some pictures has received no response, every interaction where I've shared an Instagram ID has resulted in a DM and a conversation. Now I just have some little business cards saying 'find EightBitTony' on social media, and that works.

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

You certainly did get it right.
    However it is really the function of other forum members rather than yourself to write so;).
    I like the tight framing and the way the father becomes subordinate by reason of light and focus. Your timing for perfect expressions is also spot on. Its a lovely shot.
    Oops I misread your caption!

11. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

A wonderful shot - I can only think of one possible improvement: if the child does not have much hair, the shot might look great without the hat. Or if the father wore a matching one.

12. AdrianSadlier

This is another shot of 3 lads (one of them from the first post, also taken that night.

[​IMG]

zx9r, RovingMike, Dan S and 2 others like this.
  13. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

These are all really nice Adrian, the last one is brilliant, it's impossible not to smile with them. Brilliant :)

14. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

[​IMG]

Lovely. Since this is Appraisals, I'd possibly improve the catchlight in baby's left eye and relieve the shadow a tiny bit in father's right, that's all. DoF is just about adequate, but pity so much of baby's hat is very soft. Think I'd have wanted a stop less, even at risk of the shutter speed.