1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Street Photography

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Geren, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

Absolutely street - very similar to the work of Paul Martin (not me), seen as the pioneer of street photography. Guess now seen as dated, but just because it doesn’t meet the current fashionable criteria for the genre doesn’t mean it isn’t street.

Love this one - recognise the influence, the colours are great! Of course this wouldn’t have been consider street photography before 1970 as it’s in colour - before then you had to work in black and white to be taken seriously and exhibited/published.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Catriona likes this.
  2. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

It’s a good video. If you study photography at school, college or University the modules are all project based, so if you were looking for inspiration rather than buy this guy’s book enrol on further education course. Not only will you get projects set for you, you will Also have use of their well equipped darkroom facilities if that’s your thing, correctly calibrated printers, you get students rates on Apple products and Adobe Photoshop plus a qualification at the end.

3. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

Sorry can't find an edit button, there was one here earlier? - just wanted to say when I say 'if you were looking for inspiration' I'm talking generally not to you personally Mark101.

4. BeyondIthaka

BeyondIthaka Member

I find it helpful to think through what a genre of photography means to me. I define it for myself not to impose on others. As a definition, it helps me to shape 'projects' and plan to create photos. I don't go around thinking, 'Oh, that person's work isn't really SP.' If someone wants to call their style Pavement Photography or SP or Candid Photography or Organic Life Photography or whatever, that's fine by me. It won't be the name that makes me appreciate or not the work.

But as a matter of reference, I don't think that my definition of SP is at all unusual or narrow. In fact, in the list of definitions of street photography turned up by Google most included the phrases: 'unposed', 'candid', 'public'.

5. BeyondIthaka

BeyondIthaka Member

He says the word 'project(s)' 68 times!

For any not wishing to endure hearing the word project that many times, here's a summary:

Have an idea of what kind photo you want to take when you go out, this can later work as an organising principle. It could be a theme or topic (people's feet, dogs in cars), a geographical place (Soho), historical significance (the street where you were born), an aesthetic (great light, silhouettes). Having thought about these can help you look for things and increase your rate of generating 'keepers'.

Collecting enough photos to complete a project might take anything from 1 day's shooting to 10 years. ;)

He also believes that we can make the devisive moment happen! o_O Without projects he only gets 1 or 2 keepers per month! :eek:

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That appears to be based on your excessively narrow definition of street photography and is just not true.

In the later 1950s, people like Walther Benser were making colour images of street scenes and getting them published. Their street work tended to be aimed at the tourist and travel market but nonetheless it was taken in the street and was generally candid (i.e. unposed).

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

. You get a limited amount of time to edit/delete your post. I’m not sure if it is a fixed time or linked to the posting frequency - I thought at one time it was 20 mins but I’ve been able to edit way past that on occasion.

Done_rundleCams, Paul M and Catriona like this.
  8. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I'm a firm believer in the failure of categorisation of all kinds. There are always edge cases, exceptions, rule breakers and outliers, in any system of naming, standardistion, categorisation or grouping.

So here's a different question, if we presume that a key feature of street photography featuring people is that it is candid.

Do we mean by candid,

1. unaware of the photographer's presence or
    2. an honest response to the situation (which can include the photographer's presence)

For example, I consider this candid street photography,

[​IMG]Hooligan Behaviour by Tony Evans, on Flickr

The guy giving me the v-sign noticed me and reacted to me, but it's his candid honest response, not posed.

upload_2020-10-27_8-57-5.png

9. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

...and his T-shirt makes it even better!

Done_rundleCams and EightBitTony like this.
  10. Andrew Flannigan

Some would agree, some would not. From "Oxford Languages"...

11. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

If only face to face courses were available locally, which they aren't, plus they used to be free, but aren't any longer. I must have had one of the last free courses back in the 80's which was okay, but I've learned a lot more from youtube videos since to be honest. A 10 week course with the OU & RPS is £450, many households in tee UK don't take that home in a week.

12. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

Did you watch it twice to count?

My understanding of what he says is, by having a project you can create your own decisive moments rather than waiting for something to happen ie. taking a photograph of the person shoes sitting opposite you on the Underground will mean that you will have created a new photo opportunity every time someone sits opposite you on the tube.

13. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

I would agree that knowing to much about a work can have a affect on how we view it subsequently. The Diane Arbus image now that I have seen the contact sheet and read about Colin is less engaging for me than it was before I saw the additional information. I’m pleased the contact sheet wasn’t nine versions of one pose, it was a spontaneous act and the subject believes caught more than just a likeness, but do I need to see contact sheet to appreciate the image? No. Same thing happened with William Eggleston recently when he revealed for the first time who the people were in some of his images after years of refusing - the narrative in my mind was destroyed and my connection with the one of my favourite images broken.

I know that songwriters, poets and abstract painters refuse to discuss their decision making on the basis that it will stop people making their own interpretations of the work - I can’t agree that someone who has produced a painting, written a song or poem may not know why they had done so - unlike photography the investment of time is far greater, and the act so deliberate that the concept they do not know why they have produced the work seems improbable.

14. Andrew Flannigan

I rather suspect that you create a reason for British Transport Police to yank you off the train and put you in front of a magistrate...

15. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Yeah. Ok:rolleyes:

Catriona and EightBitTony like this.
  16. Andrew Flannigan

Of course that was a silly exageration. I thought it was the current mode of discussion on this thread. :D

17. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Or not so improbable. I believe Bob Dylan has given different explanations of some of his lyrics and maybe the meaning changes over time, or the memory of it?

18. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I don't think that's what he meant at all and it is not what I mean when I do talks on projects. It is about sensitising your mind to something so you see it when it happens. I use the example of this year's car number plates. I ask everyone who has seen one and no hands go up. Then I say go out tomorrow and look and you will see some.

BeyondIthaka likes this.
  19. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

Maybe it does but we are talking about the time they actually produce the work.

He says.. "the problem is we think we are Henri Cartier-Bresson and we are looking for that decisive moment, expecting it to happen around every corner. Well unfortunately it doesn't, we've really got to make it happen, and that is where projects come in.......so when I walk out the door, I know what I'm looking for. I know I'm looking for material to fit into one of the projects I'm working on.."

20. Matthew Kennedy

Matthew Kennedy New Member

I just wander until a certain Character stands out, when i see them i know.
    I dont have a plan other then running into people that have Character.

Attached Files:

Done_rundleCams and BeyondIthaka like this.