1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Street Photography

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Geren, Feb 10, 2020.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I suffer, but, since it's really hard to explain what I can and can't 'create' or see in my minds eye vs. what someone else can see, it's hard for me to actually confirm my suspicion.

It's like trying to explain purple without pointing to something which is purple.

2. EightBitTony

Going back to why I asked about the set of pictures I posted, none of them were intentionally posed, all of them were 'in the moment', and only one of them was as a reaction to me and my camera. The point I failed to make is that you can't tell, reliably, from the picture itself whether something was instantaneous in the moment, posed, part of a 200 shot sequence with the best one being picked, or 'encouraged' by some other behaviour.

And if you can't tell, then how can one be street and one not be street (not-withstanding the point some of you made about them being 'event shots', but that just comes back to the idea that a single image can only ever be a single genre).

I waited a long time for this shot

[​IMG]The One by Tony Evans, on Flickr

I couldn't 'see it' in my mind's eye beforehand, but I knew what I was aiming for. I could have spent 3 minutes taking it by asking someone to just pose. You can't tell from the shot whether that person walked through the frame at that time, or whether I posed them. You can't tell if I got one shot, or 200 shots that didn't work. Does either of those things prevent it being street photography?

Paul M and Dan S like this.
  3. EightBitTony

Was I lucky to get this guy's head in the same angle as the poster?

[​IMG]Juxtaposition by Tony Evans, on Flickr

Or was it planning, or anticipation, or manipulation. Does it change whether the photograph is a street photograph?

Paul M, BeyondIthaka and dream_police like this.
  4. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I sometimes ask myself, 'Why the hell did I buy that camera?'

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

My God, there used to be that many people there?
    (on a more serious note, Oxford feels like a ghost town at the mo - in over 20 years I've never, ever, seen it so queit in the daytime - in fact I remember it often being noisier in the wee small hours than it is in now in the daytime).

6. BeyondIthaka

BeyondIthaka Member

All or none might be posing for you! It's easy to take a street photo of someone posing for someone else or just making a gesture to a friend etc. and when captured and cropped it looks like they were modelling for you. That was why I said that as with any art, the integrity of the artist is important. Equally, I know someone who waits for random people on the street to look at him pointing the lens at them. At that moment, he snaps the shot. For him, this is SP, for me it wouldn't be. If he published them as street photography portraits, I'd understand - i.e. it's a style of portraiture.

7. BeyondIthaka

BeyondIthaka Member

I wasn't saying that there isn't a decision to take or not take a shot, only that expecting an artist to a) fully be able to articulate that process in rational terms, or b) even know for sure themselves why they acted is too much to ask. Many artists (poets, painters, musicians) I've met or read about absolutely refuse to explain their decision-making (that choice of word, that stroke of the brush, that change of key). Some wouldn't be able to put it into language, others would just feel that to do so would take something away from the work.

8. BeyondIthaka

BeyondIthaka Member

There are many popular street photos created because the photographer saw something interesting in the environment and waited for, or fortuitously had, someone enter into frame while they were there. Perhaps, this isn’t so far removed from Arbus’s shot of Colin. It can create interesting, quirky, thought-provoking photos. These often suggest how unconscious we are to things in our everyday urban environments, they reveal human mannerisms and expressions. If someone wants to call this SP, then fine. According to my own sense of the genre, it’s sailing close to the wind. But I’ve certainly taken the fortuitously captured category of this kind of photo, so I better not be too critical of them!

9. Mark101

I rather like this video for those looking for innovation.

10. Mark101

11. EightBitTony

I find it genuinely fascinating how narrow your definition of street photography is.

Paul M likes this.
  12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I took a picture of a narrow street in Rouen in 1987, must get a scanner and find the negative (or vice versa)

13. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

It's all getting a bit Rangefinder Forum, isn't it?

Done_rundleCams and Catriona like this.
  14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Here's a street photo my dad took in 1942.

ap street Deir ez Zor 1942.jpg
    And herre's one I took on the street, looking at a couple sitting and waiting for a bus.

It wouldn't be considered street either!

ap waiting.jpg

But I don't care. :p

15. EightBitTony

All street as far as I'm concerned.

16. EightBitTony

I never read it, but apologies if I've caused offence.

17. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Unless someone posting here is using a Leica they haven't declared then this is not Rangefinder Forum. :p

Mark101 and Done_rundleCams like this.
  18. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

No but manipulation would entirely invalidate it.

19. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

He's quite right. It is something I have been lecturing on to RPS and clubs recently, showing a whole range of street / urban projects. In fact I really only work in projects and many become Blurb books too.

20. EightBitTony

By manipulation, I mean social or interaction based, rather than image based on post-prod, not sure if that was clear or changes your view.