1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Street Photography

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Geren, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

A street photograph .....

Oct 1985-AP-MetCinema-DSCN5679 copy.jpg

A "street" photograph entitled "love lives here"

AP-1985-LoveLivesHere=DSCN5864 copy.JPG

Cheers and from Winnipeg (circa 1986) .... and still learning / trying / expletive deleted ing up ;)

Jack

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I love them both! The first is so of the time. The second made me look carefully and has a bit of mystery which is nice.

Done_rundleCams and Dan S like this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

From about the same time as Jack's pictures above, or perhaps a couple of years earlier.

ap street crete.jpg

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I think photographs which pose questions are inherently more interesting (to me), and so the one we're talking about here asks a lot of questions. How did the guy fall over, why are some people looking the other way, what happened just before that, what happened just after it, etc.

Landscapes never pose any questions for me, and I find them less interesting as a result.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

To be honest, I find that statement rather depressing, and I'm very glad I don't share that view. Landscapes to me for the most part say more about mankind than pictures of people do; very few landscapes are untouched by the hand of man - take the Lake District, and try to find a picture that doesn't include at least one of dry stone walls, lead mines, slate quarries, Roman forts, Roman roads, drover's paths, funerary routes and so on - landscapes tell the tale of man's interaction with the land, victories and defeats agains nature and fellow man, and above all, the ephemeral nature of being. (Going full on for Pseud's Corner here. ;) ). Even the pics without evidence of "civilisation" make me ask why. And that's just one range of questions. For perhaps the majority of photos described by their authors as "street", the only question I ask is "why did they bother?", because there is so much crud out there with the label of street (although to be fair, same goes for landscapes, but at least you can generally see what the photographer was trying to do with landscapes). Good street is great, but as rare as good photography in any genre, yet most of it asks me far less questions than even the most banal of landscapes

6. EightBitTony

I don't disagree with any of that, and luckily we're all different. If we were talking about industrial landscape, then I'd have a different view. But shot after after shot of perfect reflections of lakes shot in the golden hour ...

Done_rundleCams and Catriona like this.
  7. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

This is a great example (IMO) of an image with people with arms outstretched by Joel Meyerowitz (again) which illustrates the point of how a single image can leave the viewer with no clear understanding what those actions convey, what is actually happening in the moment or what is going to happen next.

https://americansuburbx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/38.jpg

8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

This type of discussion always reminds me of this TV commercial from the 80's.

9. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Before there was Nicola there was Theodore.

10. EightBitTony

Yep, I remember that advert!

11. EightBitTony

I called my blog, a long, long time ago, perception is truth. But if we start debating the philosophy of truth and whether you can represent it, we'll have to accept photography is an art form.

12. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

I remember the advert (and even the product it was for which is unusual) - of course different to an image as it resolves and gives the viewer a (happy) ending. Makes the point also that while, of course, the viewer will project their own prejudices as they watch and in this case these are deliberately undermined, also to remember those taking images consciously or not, impose their own when they frame the image whatever genre they are working in.

13. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I can't argue with that.

I think you are right, if a photo poses questions or just gets discussion going (like here) then its have proved its worth for me.

My main concern is that it is making a statement about the content, as though that moment captured is a summation of the event, a direct comment on the people within the photo and their recation to what is going on. It maybe correct to assume things based on the photo, but it may also not be correct, as we have nothing else to go on.

I think that is my point Tony, but I'm not arueing the interest within the photo, just the reading into it too much.

"stunned by curiosity into inaction" is what I'm unconvinced about.

14. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Good example.

Yes, thats' my point. But maybe I'm just arguing the toss. I do find your examples interesting.

Done_rundleCams and Paul M like this.
  15. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I should have read and got to this before posting. :D
    I hadn't seen that before, perfectly explained.

16. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Me too, but was it really that long ago? I'd have said 10 years at most.

I've told the story before of how, as a juror on a drugs trial, I was convinced that a wide-angle photo of the scene put up by the defence entirely misrepresented what the witness could see. Passing the scene later that day, I took a 50mm shot from the same spot, which showed an entirely different line of sight. Next day I was told by an usher that I'd better destroy it and say nowt, if I didn't want to end up inside myself. The miscreant got off.

17. Done_rundleCams

Thanks very much, Kate :). As for the second one, it was taken in an area that was, normally, a hooker, or to be more PC, sex-worker, stroll, and, as far I know, these were
    just a couple of kids chatting ;)

Cheers,

Jack

Catriona likes this.
  18. Done_rundleCams

Very cool photo, Kate :) and can you imagine the hipsters coming across a
    shop, today, with that many leather bags/satchels :eek: ... ;)

Cheers,

Jack

Catriona likes this.
  19. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

fire.jpg

From about 1976 or 7, Llanrwst on a Sunday. The pubs were shut in Bangor on a Sunday then, so the Bangor Festival decamped to Llanrwst for the Lunchtime session...

S

20. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

At the end of Cromer pier, street or pier?

[​IMG]crabbing by Dan, on Flickr