1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Street' Camera...?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by AlecM, Mar 22, 2011.

1. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

You could use a DSLR with a superzoom lens such as the Tamron 18-270 - get someone to fit the lens for you once if necessary and then never change it, treating it as a "Super Bridge". The images wouldn't be quite as good as using prime lenses with the DSLR, but would be a lot better than most bridge cameras, especially in difficult light, where the larger sensor would come to the fore.

Another possibility would be a Compact System Camera, though I'm not sure what superzoom lenses are available for them yet.

Mind you, if you want maximum depth of field, the small sensor of a bridge camera does have an advantage.

2. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Thanks for going to the trouble of this info. Much appreciated.
    :)

3. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

There's always your phone! As the admin at the Mobile Street group on dA say,the best camera is the one in your hand!

4. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Interested in following this up. PM sent.

Mark.

5. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

My last visit to a night club in Maidstone was over 35 years ago I still remember it , like a bad dream

6. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

If he has trouble gripping a lens to change it, is he going to have similar problems twisting the lens barrel to zoom?

7. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

To answer your original question, I tend to use my Canon G10 more these days for daytime street photography. If I am photographing street musicians I ask if they mind and drop a bit of cash in the box. This normally works a treat. If I am photographing 'street scenes', I just get on with it. I understand that photographing 'Goffs' can be rewarding, as they are normally exhibitionists, so like being photograhed anyway.

For evening and night photography, I normally use my Pentax K-5 with a Sigma 17-70 zoom and a 10-20 zoom. This is because of the better high ISO performance. I try to go out with a couple of friends, just to avoid intimidation from the late night revellers, who can get a bit annoying, but are not often troublesome or violent (so far at least).

I admire those who photograph the less fortunate, who live on the street, but I understand that they are often very co=operative when money changes hands.

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Leica lllg or Oly EP-2 with evf and panasonic 20mm lens. Film or digital, take your pick. I now use the latter.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  9. Larry Shone

Err, whats a goff?

10. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Opps, I meant Goths (Gothics), people who are sort of punky but all in black outfits with tattoes and piercings of various kinds. Get quite a few here in Norfolk. Sorry if I confused you.

11. Larry Shone

Ah, Emos! ;)

12. Monk

Monk Well-Known Member

D3 & whatever lens I grabbed. Of choice the Nikkor 85mm, ƒ1.4 closely followed by the Nikkor 70-200mm, ƒ2,8. Sort of depends how close I think I can approach subjects, which in turn depends upon the event.

13. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

No. There is a VERY big difference between Goth and Emo

14. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

I use a Minolta XD7 for street stuff, and I hate to admit it but I also use a 28mm and mono film, and sometimes I shoot from the hip too :grin:. I like the XD7 because I don't have to switch it on or wait for it to focus, and because it's relatively small and inconspicuous. Not much good if film's not your thing though.

15. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Street Photography is one the the most accessible genres as you can shoot with any camera and lens combination you have, but there are very good reasons why a discreet body and wide-angle lens if preferred by most proponents of the genre. Firstly, if you use a DSLR, especially with a larger lens, you are conspicuous and unless you really want to draw attention to yourself a la Bruce Gilden you'll find that this can have a detrimental effect on your pictures. There's no rule against long lenses but as they isolate the subject the context is often removed and I personally find the results far less satisfying.

For the above reasons, I shoot street photography with my GF1 and 20/1.7, but if money allowed there would only be one street camera for me, the Fuji X100.

16. Larry Shone

Yea they are spelled very differently ;)

17. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with that.

So you managed to have an argument where you were both wrong!

All street photographers are voyeurs while isolating the subject goes against the ethos of street photography where the context and environment are as important as the subject within them.

Just because photograph was taken on the street doesn't make it 'street photography'.

18. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

ATOC is the Association of Train Operating Companies, an industry body with no regulatory powers. Network Rail control the railways, and owns and operates most stations.