1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Street' Camera...?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by AlecM, Mar 22, 2011.

1. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

This is one directed at all you street types. Having spent a lovely day looking around the Science Museum on Sunday, with my family, I thought I'd have a go at some candid shots around and about. I've never been stopped before and as I was with my wife, son and daughter this time, I thought I'd probably be okay (I was). Thing is, my D700, even with the baby f1.8 50mm lens, felt huge and I've never been more aware of the shutter - subtle it was not!:eek:
    Here's the question - having enjoyed getting some shots of passers by and trains and stuff, I'd quite like to do more, but I want to feel far less conspicuous about it. Do you street guys just use a DSLR and get on with it, or something high quality but compact and bijou? Perhaps I am lacking the kahunas to just brazen it out...?:D
    As ever, your thoughts and views are most welcome..... :)

2. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

Yeah. The D3 and a 50mm lens.

[Windsor Davies]
    Get On With It!
    [/Windsor Davies]

3. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

As a matter of interest, what are the restrictions (if any) on the Underground..?

4. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

There aren't any... so to speak.

As long as you aren't making a nuisence of yourself or using flash, a tripod or monopod you are normally okay to take photos.

5. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

6. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Seems to be a hard rule on flash photography.

http://uffish.net/archives/000336.html

Also I think the underground is covered by private property laws therefore I think the staff could ask you to stop if they wanted.

Maybe a chat with station staff before hand so that they don't get alarmed might be a good thing?

7. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

I appreciate that, and may well get in touch next time I'm bound that way.

8. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

My I quote from my very recent posting on this subject:

Regards, Andrew

9. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Alec,

I daresay, more the lens then the camera :) There are
    some <u>street</u> photographers who insist on
    having a particular focal length for plying their craft --
    god, I can believe I actually used that phrase (plying
    their craft :eek: :eek: ). Whereas I use whatever
    particular lens I have on the camera at the time :D ..
    ... kind of a "any port in a storm" ;)

Cheers,

Jack

10. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Thanks for the input guys. I'm back up in town for the next two days (on a course!), so I may grab some free time and be a bit more bold!!
    :D

11. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

Indeed, there is a sort of "purist" clique that insist that street photography should always be with a wide angle lens of approx 35mm, and a good number of these will insist on it being in black and white also.

I got into an argument with one once who moaned that because I had my 70-300mm on, that I was being a voyeur and not a proper street photographer. When I told him that I couldn't get enough isolation with a short lens (I'm a slut for shallow DOF) he looked blankly at me.

12. Done_rundleCams

Hi S_D,

Perhaps the blank look was because he had never seen the Pro-Wrestler/(shallow)DOF slut combo before ;) I gotta
    admit I've never had any disagreements (in person) over focal
    lengths for shooting street stuff Had lotsa online
    discussions tho' :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Jack

13. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Happy to report a short time spent on a street corner outside my Kensington hotel taking pics of cycles and mopeds among the traffic (you know, panning for blurry backgrounds) and lots of looks from plod and community support plod but no words.
    Very harsh looks from one brick privy type eastern euro-looking skinhead in black t shirt, in big black amg merc with, well, you know what colour the rear windows were by now!
    That's when I moved on..... in case he wasn't planning on using words. He REALLY didn't want his photo taken!

14. Still_Togging_Along

Still_Togging_Along In the Stop Bath

Went through a phase with street photography a few years before things got 'complicated', and that was with a 35mm Minolta Dynax 9. However, what I found suited my style, (was also using a sports wheelchair) was the Rokkor 24-85 zoom. For some things, a 28mm just wasn't wide enough. Maybe, being positioned just below & above 'Normal' waist-level as a wheelchair-user, this does impact on things as I seemed to find getting in closer to people, without seeming to intrude on their 'space'. Of course, the chair acts as a brilliant 'tripod', so could use down to 1/15th sec for extra DOF and really nice people movement!

15. Done_rundleCams

Um Alec, I hate to tell you but, uh, what you're describing above isn't really "street photography" :eek:,
    unless, of course, the person on the street corner is the subject (see below) ....

[​IMG]

.. taken outside of a club (this past Friday) similar to (a) Stringfellows type club or the Liquid Lounge in Maidstone :eek:

;)

Jack

16. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

OOer missus!! You know when you write things and people (some people :eek: :D), get the wrong end of the stick, Jack!!

Would 'intersection' have sounded better?!?

:eek:

erm.... maybe not.....

Maidstone, eh? that well-known nocturnal hot spot! I think the last time I went to a night club was at least 15 years ago - thank goodness.

17. Done_rundleCams

Hi Alec,

I think that "intersection" would have given me a (hopefully) different interpetation :D

and the raunchiest spot I ever hit in Kent was an O'Neills in Beckenham High Street(should be here)

Cheers and looking forward to some "street shots" from ya :)

Jack

18. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

who's the guy on our left hand side of that shot...looks like he's been struck down by a scooter....or something :eek:

19. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I am planning on doing some street stuff from my disability scooter Ihave a TZ8 AND A FUJI BRIDGE CAMERAoops I used to use a bridge camera for street work before I got intrested in photography now I cant use a dslr because my hands wont work to change lenses.

20. pedned

pedned Member

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/passenger_services/guidelines_for_rail_enthusiasts.html

I'd say carry a copy of the page around with you, if you know you'll be taking photos on any railway station. There are alot of jobsworths out there, including the BTP (Who actually have a copy of that document on their website as well).

A friend of mine was stopped by a member of staff on a railway station, taking photos of a special charter train, when a member of station staff informed the British Transport Police, who turned up. After a lengthy argument with the officers he was arrested under section 44 of the anti-terrorism act (2001 or something), and had his camera seized for forensic testing. He was released on bail, but didn't get his camera back for another 3 or 4 weeks, and when he did his images had been deleted from his memory card... This was around 3 years ago, and he still hasn't successfully managed to get anyone from the BTP into court yet...

I've also been hassled a few times on railway stations by staff members and police officers, who seem to like quoting section 44....

But as far as ATOC (the department who control the railways) and the BTP, and DfT are all concerned, it is perfectly fine...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011