1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straw Poll.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BigWill, Feb 20, 2005.

1. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Further to David's post "RAW vs Jpeg" I would be interested to know just how many of us up here habitually shoot in RAW format.

I'll start the ball rolling by saying that I habitually shoot in RAW because I dislike the idea of shooting in a lossey format for my "quality stuff". I agree with David though, that if you have a high throughput that jpeg would be a much more logical choice provided you shoot in "fine jpeg" mode to avoid too much compression.

OK voters.................lets have your opinions!

BigWill

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

2. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

These days....

Normal use.. LF JPEG converted to TIFF
    Occasional...RAW..tricky lighting and important shots.

Graeme

AGW[​IMG]

3. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

RAW almost always on the cameras that provide it.

JPEG on the cameras that don't provide RAW with conversion to TIFF on download

Chris

[​IMG]

4. BigWill

So you're more of a "jpeg" man then Graeme?

BigWill

5. BigWill

So that's one for the RAW camp then! That's one of each so far!

BigWill

6. Chilly

Chilly Well-Known Member

I've recently turned to RAW over the last 3-4 months. Can't be arsed switching beween the two and by sticking with RAW I've always got the quality for any potential sales opportunities. Media is cheap enough, after all.

7. BigWill

Good man Paul. Another notch in the RAW belt!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

BigWill

8. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

RAW - except when I shoot JPEG......

Nick BSRIPN
    And why not?

10. Seven

Seven ..or eight

JPEG till I get serious about submitting to agencies.

Tanya(CRIPN)/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif
    CastVision

11. BigWill

"If you're the sort of person who likes to twiddle and redo than by all means RAW is for you"

...............bloody hell.................am I a "fiddler"? /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

BigWill

12. BigWill

Git!....................I can never get a straight answer from him! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

13. BigWill

Lets get serious!

If agencies demand it, do they know something we don't?

BigWill

14. Minoltaman

Minoltaman Well-Known Member

Having just recently getting my D7D I shoot mainly in raw.

George

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

OK, 90%RAW, 10% JPEG. In truth, I'm happy with both.

Nick BSRIPN
    And why not?

16. BigWill

..................but with 90% RAW.......................I'll have to put you down as a "RAW" man as well!

BigWill

17. BigWill

Good man George.......................another "RAW" man!

BigWill

18. Glenn Harper

Glenn Harper Well-Known Member

Re: Lets get serious!

It's worth bearing in mind that agencies virtually always sell images as jpegs - regardless of whether they were originally RAW or not. And ...... they don't demand RAW. They do though receive a lot of images which have been virtually hacked to death by extensive 8Bit editing, so perhaps if they recommend the 'higher quality' workflow they might eliminate some of this.

Obviously if you're supplying pictures to people that will open up image files and look at histograms - RAW is preferable. However, anyone with an inkling of what they are doing in PS could easily provide satisfactory images derived from jpegs. No big deal.

Glenn

19. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Suppose so...used to be a raw man but got fed up with the extended reading and save as times...I have trialed the differeing approaches....and for me, I cant see the diference between a TIFF derived from a raw file and one derived from a LF jpeg. There are some situations eg with dodgy light balance, where it makes sense so I switch to suit.

So that is my current strategy.

Graeme

AGW[​IMG]

20. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

Re: "If you're the sort of person who likes to twiddle and redo than by all means RAW is for you"

The thought of you twiddling in the RAW is probably going to haunt me for some time to come! [​IMG]

Ian A