1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strap for telephoto

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by willie45, Aug 18, 2018.

1. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Hi all

Now that I've solved my long lens conundrum but buying two lenses - don't ask (oh, all right then, a Canon 400mm f5.6 and a Tamron 100-400mm soon which I got at a really great price, much to Mrs Willie's bemusement ) I'm looking for a strap system to use with them.

These are the only two lenses I will be using with my 7D mk II. I have a Black Rapid strap which I've had for a bit but I don't find it that comfy and I keep reading about failures with this system. I wonder if anyone here recommends an alternative. Ideally I'd like to to fit onto an Area Swiss mount on a tripod as well as being handy for hand holding. I tried the Black Rapid mount with eye which claims to do both on my Canon 400mm and found it to be pretty lousy. I need something better.

All advice welcome.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I tend to use a standard camera strap but only to pop the camera on my shoulder if I need a hand free. Otherwise I hold it in my hand with the strap folded into my palm (so it doesn't snag when dangling free). The camera tends to hang fairly securely with fingers under the grip. If I'm walking A to B I put everything in a camera bag. I'm quite interested to try a sliding strap of the Black Rapid type which screws into the tripod mount, my wife uses one with her bridge camera and it seems to work quite well. I don't know how robust they get, hers is quite light duty.

3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

It's beginning to sound as though you need a wheelbarrow for that lot, Willie... :D

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I'm now using an Op/Tech wrist strap pretty much all the time when using longer lenses. If I'm on the move I have a bag cross wise on my shoulder to drop the lens and camera into if I want to use a different one.

5. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Perhaps your wife will carry them for you, but then again ....

There is a lot of support for Peak Design or Black Rapid whenever this question is raised in the other forum I use. I have tried neither as I'm not convinced the design is secure.

I have recently bought two Optech straps and I find them more comfortable than the Canon ones. I use a backpack if I am walking to a site but it does mean I usually miss shots of anything I see on route.

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Have you considered hiring some native levies? :D

I use a Joby Ultrafit sling with my 100-400, but this precludes the use of a tripod mount so not a solution for your problem.

7. willie45

I thought, perhaps, something like this

peterba likes this.
  8. willie45

Good suggestions peeps.

I'm not terribly sold on Black Rapid either, especially after my experience with their tripod mount. I like the idea of Optech as I've found their products to be comfortable and good in the past. I'm not sure if they would work with larger lens mounts though?

9. willie45

Actually, maybe I'm being so fussy only a backpack will work for me despite missing shots en route.

10. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

No trouble - glad to have been of 'help', Willie! ;):D

11. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Highlight: it is, or at least BlackRapid is (never tried Peak Design). Frances has been using BlackRapid since they came out, including with Leicas and Alpas: in other words, many thousands of pounds on the end of the string. She wouldn't do that unless we were reasonably confident they're safe.

OpTech are brilliant too. Again we've been using 'em a very long time.

Cheers,

R.

12. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I'm sure I will try Black Rapid or Peak Design at some point. If their design was unsafe I'm sure we would hear more stories of dropped cameras. I prefer not to carry a heavy camera and long lens using a strap for long distances. I have tried various camera bags but backpacks work best for me as the weight is evenly spread, which certainly helps when I have the two dogs.

Roger Hicks likes this.