1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stop me hating my camera

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by grove39, Jun 9, 2014.

1. grove39

grove39 Well-Known Member

I actually went out and bought a D3200 a couple of days ago. Would have got a better one but money was a bit tight to be honest and also couldn't see the point in spending tons more on something better that i don't know how to use properly.

Been very busy in the last couple of days playing around with it, working out what everything does, shooting a few hundred pointless and really bad photos just to get used to it and watching countless youtube videos to start to learn how to take photos again.

You really don't realise how easy it was with a compact and how much work it did for you until you get a DSLR lol

Fair enough some of the pics i took with the F80 were not bad but getting the same kind of level of quality with the D3200 is now going to involve some thought.

As for the F80 EXR that is sat on my desk, i've not even looked at it and only picked it up once to take the memory card out to use in my D3200.

When i do go out properly and start to take photos i have a feeling that the F80 will still be in my pocket or close to hand just in case i need it but i doubt it will be used that much.

Also i think that when i go again in October to the same place the above photos were taken i'll be giving the F80 to one of my kids to use.

They saw the D3200 today when they visited and wanted to have a go, OVER MY DEAD BODY hahahaha, not brave enough to let anybody touch it yet.

Hopefully once i work this Nikon out i'll be posting some of the best pics known to man :D

2. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Sounds good, I think you can ajust the 3200 to be just as easy to use as a compact and the gradually take control when you need it.
    I usually have mine in P (program) mode as it works like auto but all the buttons work and features can be changed if needed.
    But rember to have fun and take pictures that is what it is all about.

3. grove39

Slowly working through all of the settings but avoiding "M" like the plague as i think it would be a disaster at this point lol

4. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

M has it's uses but mostly when doing studio lights/flash guns. The modes I and I think most of us here use are P, Tv and Av. The creative modes and full auto are rather useless and only bring limitations.
    And don't worry about not having a better camera, the thing is that the 3200D is more than most of us would ever need in tearms of features and quality.

5. grove39

I think it will be more than enough for me for at least a few years.

Maybe one day i'll be able to afford a Nikon D4S lol

6. Sphinx

Sphinx Well-Known Member

Grove you sound so like me, and your journey sounds similar. The D3200 is easier to get used to than you realize and for me still makes me go wow when I can crop right in on an image (so long as I took it properly) and the result is just as good or better than I was getting on my samsung bridge. I never did get anything accepted by dreamstime from the bridge (I can now understand why) but have had several from the nikon.

All it needs now is for someone to buy one lol.

Dont be put off by people saying the stock sites accept thousands - I have images I offer there and ones I take for myself and I know others on here do as well. Get pleasure from both.

7. grove39

Even though i'm still learning how to use it i think it is the best thing i've spent money on in years and wish i'd bought one a long time ago.

I'm not going to be put off by anything anybody says, people have their own opinions even if they are wrong hahaha

8. Sphinx

Sphinx Well-Known Member

I totally agree with best thing bought in years - I feel exactly the same way about mine.

It has added a dimension to the way I see things - and teaching me so much.

9. grove39

Only thing i have to get over is the fear of going out with it and just taking photos without worrying about people giving me odd looks or mugging me hahaha

10. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Why?

Because you are not taking pics with your £500 iPhone?

11. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

the more you get out the less you'll feel like that - just wait till you start doing really odd things like taking a tripod out with you ;o)

12. grove39

Note 3 thank you, wouldn't be seen dead or mugged with an iPhone hahaha

Strange how you get weird looks holding a camera but it looks normal holding a phone out in front of you.

I suppose you're right, was a bloke at Comic Con London with his own lighting rig and he didn't seem to care.

13. Sphinx

Sphinx Well-Known Member

Its not just the equipment - I may on occasions be seen lying flat out on the ground, or encouraging teenagers to help me climb walls/fences/trees, or even *gasp* running. No doubt when doing these things I am getting some very odd looks - but I am happily oblivious (or unhappily if I still cant frame the bleeping shot how I want it - but still oblivious)

14. grove39

15. Sphinx

Sphinx Well-Known Member

As was suggested on another thread simply put on a high vis vest and they wont think you know what you are doing they will know you know what you are doing.

16. grove39

I've got a bullet proof vest. If i wear that they might be too scared to even ask if i know what i'm doing.

I'll look like a war reported in the middle of Bromley hahaha

17. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

I didn't realise things had got so bad in Bromley ;o)

18. grove39

Yep, i go shopping in a tank too.