1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stone wall

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by lfc1892, Nov 23, 2020.

1. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

That is freaky, disconcerting, and I like it a lot!

Learning likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I like that a lot. Two thoughts - of course it depends in what is beyond the wall but I wondered if it is necessary to crop the top as the capping layer says it’s a free standing wall. Second is whether the figure would be better off-centre. The bright hat breaks the “surprise” of the green grass through the hole in the wall. The head needs to be level with the “window” else there is no point to be sitting there but there is a bit of s competition for attention - head OR window rather than a complement.

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Whatever is this?. It asks a question, but it doesn't answer it.

5. lfc1892

I’m glad that’s come across as that’s the point of it. It’s meant to be a little eerie and surreal, and certainly doesn’t answer the question, which is led to the viewer to make up.
    Wasn’t sure on going off centre with the girl, but it felt right with her central.

6. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Yes, I like this too. Quite intriguing, and the bright colours of her clothing contrast wonderfully against the muted shades of the stonework. Well done.

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Bit heavy on the saturation, but I like it. The inscription beneath him adds a bit of je ne sait quoi....

8. lfc1892

Thanks guys. Sloooowly starting to get back into the swing of things

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I am loathe to disagree with an expert, but I like the enhanced saturation, both in the stones of the wall and the vegetation of the view.
    I've seen quite a lot of dry stone walls, and I can assure you that those stone shades aren't muted. The vibrancy and contrast seem to be enhanced, and are all the better for it.
    I like this.

10. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I like that.
    As for the colours - I like the vibrancy.
    Now you have to return and do the same shot in storm light, so the saturation levels are off the charts:D

11. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Disagree away, but you didn't disagree. I said it was a bit heavy, not I didn't like. Do you think it is natural,.....or a bit heavy?

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The lighting on the wall itself doesn't strike me as consistent with sunlight on the grass seen through the "window". I was seeing the picture as the hat vs the grass with the wall as background but if arguing for realism then the light on the far grass and the light on the fore-ground should be the same and it is very different - weak sunshine on foreground and full sun on background.

RovingMike likes this.
  13. lfc1892

thanks for the input guys, most appreciated, as always. The light on the other side of the wall adds to the interest to me and the surreal feel to it. It's due to low winter sun landing on the other side of the wall only.