1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Still, versus video, camera battery charging

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

All of my still cameras were supplied with OEM battery chargers; all of my camcorders expected me to charge the battery in the camcorder's body. WHY? Even when the still camera and camcorder were from the same manufacturer, Canon. I have purchased 3rd. party off-camcorder battery chargers, but am suspicious that they may not be monitoring internal temperature etc. Any insights?

(As a side issue, wouldn't it be good if batteries would fit more camera bodies, and I could reduce the number of chargers I carry - particularly on holiday.)

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Heaven knows. My wife's Sony RX10 iii charges via a USB cable plugged into the body. My Fuji XH-1 came with a standard charger but also a DC power supply that will charge the batteries in the grip and/or power the camera if the grip is attached. It doesn't however charge the battery in the camera.

3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Do you need a big video camera with interchangeable lenses to get a separate battery charger?

Most of the compacts I've had have been charge the battery in the camera. Could it be a consumer market versus enthusiast market kind of thing? Serious video cameras seem to be silly money...like the Sony "pro" ones?

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be luvverly,...............
    Next week we are slipping away for a few days and my wife and I can exist on one charger for two different Kindles plus two (again different) phones but my two cameras will demand either spare batteries for each or separate chargers. If only cameras had the option to charge from a mini USB cable. It is also short sighted by the camera makers as the present situation means that there are some additions I would like but will just put off. To be fair to Canon one of their mirrorless offerings does use the same battery as my 6D but the other one is the one I am interested in

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Just for clarity, in the above, "OEM" was meant to mean the original Canon chargers and batteries, for my Canon cameras. I really must catch up...

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I am surprised Canon don't make a suitable charger. If you haven't had any problems with third party chargers I wouldn’t worry.

Yes, in fact Nikon were doing well with that, EN-EL4 (D2, D3, D300*, D300S*, D800* and D810* *with grip) until the D4 came along and used a nearly identical battery (EN-EL18) with the terminals on the opposite side of the battery, yes it fits the grips for a number of other bodies too. Even more annoying Canon have a nearly identical battery, it can use the same charger with an adaptor plate. So we have three "different" batteries that can all use the same charger, MH26, with adaptors but aren't interchangeable in any other way because the terminals are in slightly different places! How stupid is that?