1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still Life

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Geren, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Having a bit of time on my hands, which is an unusual place for me to be, I have been making the most of it by photographing some still life.

[​IMG]yellow2 by Dan, on Flickr

[​IMG]sacrificial corn by Dan, on Flickr

2. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

First creamy white eggs I've had for a long time! Fresh, from cossetted local hens a few miles away.
    ap white eggs 2.jpg

RovingMike and Dan S like this.
  4. Catriona

A couple more still lifes.

ap vase and shadow.jpg

ap swallow box colour.jpg

Dan S and EightBitTony like this.
  5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

From the isolation challenge

[​IMG]

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  6. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Catriona likes this.
  7. Catriona

Love the highkey.

Dan S likes this.
  8. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Thanks, I tried a few different ideas but this one work the best I think.

9. RovingMike

I was going to say about the veggie ones above, they are beautifully shot, but totally incongruous on that velvet background. Now with the mono one I can't understanding what the corn is doing there? The idea has to work somehow, rather than just be lumped together.

10. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I wonder if my setting out of things is not obvious to others. The veg shots on the velvet were really my trying to express the luxury of food at a time when the shops were empty. The flower was given away free on the shopping day. The idea that food was in short supply but flowers were being given away free.

The corn, well that has quite a personal story. My duaghter calls it the sacrificial corn. We took it from one of our walks from last year, it was left on the ground after the harvest and has stayed with us ever since.

In the mono shot, I was looking for texture and reflection and refraction using the shapes and the spilt water. This all started from seeing the bubbles in a glass of water this morning. The corn was just part of that exploration, plus I like that we have the corn as someone else might have an ornament, that it has a meaning to our family unit.

But I can't expect others to get the corn angle, other than perhaps for its texture and manipulation of light.

11. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Oh, and the glass of water with the sun behind it perhaps should go into the landscape thread as it is a tongue in cheek quarantined shot of a sunrise over water

12. RovingMike

Well, if nothing else, it shows what the written word can do that pictures can't. :)

But honestly, if you want to communicate scarcity and value, you can do that, but need to interrogate the thing and work out how. I remember once, we wanted to give a Shredded Wheat marketing manager a leaving present and wanted it to quietly poke fun at his great passion for his product, which was out of all proportion to value everyone else would appreciate. So we had one sprayed gold and mounted on a plinth in a glass cabinet. He was very touched, while everyone else laughed up their sleeves. A photo of that "award" would communicate same as the thing did in real life. Most would "get it", because it was well OTT.

13. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I think your expectation of what others would get is unavoidably skewed by getting it yourself. If there was a way to make sure everyone 'always' got it, then all art would be gotten by everyone. As it's not, it's clear there isn't any way to universally present a message.

14. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I think it is tricky getting a message across in any art form, but I like the thoughtful nature of art, that it makes me think. If I'm not getting something then there is usually something to get, and that's intriguing. I'm ok too that I don't always get stuff.

The problem is what Tony said, and what I believe to be true, is that when you are the one settting up the photo its meaning is obvious, and it's difficult to see that it's not obvious for everyone else. But its also ok if not everyone gets the meaning and just enjoys it as simply a photo or colours on canvas.

15. RovingMike

But as I was saying, there are better and worse ways of setting that up. It should provoke a question, even if you can't decipher it. The veg on velvet doesn't really do that and the flower cuts across any meaning at all.

The corn on windowledge is just something that can only possibly have meaning for you alone.

16. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

That's a fair point