1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Stihl using the wrong thing ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stephen Rundle, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I have a STIHL (in case anyone wanted to correct my spelling ;) ;) )

https://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Produ...trol-powerful-brushcutters/21779-211/c-e.aspx

For my back garden being in wales it is on a slope and mowers are useless. I have to swap between brush cutter and strimmer attachments a real pain, then i thought I need a new hedge trimmer. I hate trailing wires and the REAL inconvenience so I ought this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CR6CFXO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am VERY hard to please, believe me, but, WOW! I will never look back, yes it is cumbersome as it is very long extended but what an amazing machine and not a well known/accepted make.

I bought a spare battery, no need, I have done a 30' 7' hedge cut down to 5' (the neighbours) cut an actual BUSH down see image, and pruned TREES, still on 1/3 charge IMG_20200814_101332853[1].jpg

TWO years guarantee, what a great value machine.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Used to use a Stihl chainsaw at work - loved it. Super-reliable, easy to use, effective. Can't ask much more than that.

Edit to add - not well known/accepted? Maybe not from Argos type tool shoppers but for serious use they are almost the default go-to brand for many.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Lads who did our hedges last Saturday used a petrol one. Looked it up and it was very expensive top of the range.

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

£90 v £800. The domestic model with two year conditional guarantee (usually not for trade use) may well do a good job on a couple of hundred yards of hedge a year for more than two years.
    A tradesman might trim that length of hedge in a week. I would expect a serious tradesman to use something like this https://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Produ...each-hedge-trimmers/274075-620/HL-94-c-e.aspx .
    At our country park I often use a mid priced petrol pole hedge trimmer on our 'tidy' hedges near the buildings. I do not expect it to last.
    I was tempted by the battery VonHaus machine for my home hedges but have reservations about the position of the strap loop and the suspicion that it does not freely rotate on the shaft. It does not look well balanced. Sounds German but is Chinese. I will give it a miss.

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I've owned Stihl chainsaws for decades. I've not tried any of their electric offerings, but Ryobi are a match for them in build quality.

7. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I was going to get a STIHL but as it has a 2 year guarantee for under £90 why bother and as I said cut 15mm branches with eas3e

8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Some cheaper power tools are fine for domestic use, they are though not intended for anything more. A pro who is using such equipment every day will invest in STIHL or equivalent, items that are built to stand intensive use and being thrown into the back of a Transit pickup. I have a cheap LIDL chainsaw, it's fine for what I need, I've certainly had my moneys worth from it, it wouldn't stand up to use by a professional though.

9. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Having run out of photography kit mini-projects, a couple of weeks ago I tackled some gardening tools mini-projects.

I have a Lamborghini cordless hedge and grass trimmer that does a very good job, but when trimming the lawn edges I have to crouch down, which is not a problem, but then I have to stand up again...

So - fit a long handle!

In hedge trimming mode...

Garden tools00001.jpg

...or grass cutting mode...

Garden tools00003.jpg

Garden tools00002.jpg

The 140cm light-weight aluminium pole makes a huge difference. For tall hedges I trim the top with it inverted, and for the face I just stand back a bit. It takes less than a minute with a screwdriver to revert to small hand-tool mode. Total cost - I already had the tool itself - less than five euros! That little bit of bungy is just to hold the switches on. The mount itself is extremely rigid.

The other mini-project was a bit weird. I have mains powered chain saw, large hedge trimmer, Flymo type lawnmower, two strimmers, one for the lawn with wheels, and one for the jungle, and a powerful leaf-blower/sucker. I don't like petrol power tools, as they are both noisy and messy, and quite high maintenance, but dealing with a long mains cable is a real pain. Once I managed to cut it with the big trimmer, and blew everything back to the to the electricity company's distribution box!

Answer - carry the cable with you, so you can wind it in or let it out as needed.

Garden tools00004.jpg

A twenty metre cable, fitted with eyebolts at the top for... er... a camera strap for the shoulder...

Garden tools00005.jpg

... and a waist belt to distribute the weight of less than 2.5Kg. Believe it or not, it really works, and works well!

Total cost - two eyebolts with nuts and washers, and two plastic drawer handles, the rest I already had - less than two Euros.

You can tell just how bored I am, waiting for the cooler weather, but walking around in 40 plus degrees just doesn't crank my tractor nor does it float my boat - 'cos I sold that three years ago, which is where I would normally be in August!

For my next project, I thought I might turn the garden shed into a Tardis. Does anyone have the plans? :D

10. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I do, but I haven't got the time to post it.:D

OK, OK, I've got me coat on:p:p

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Well build it from the plans. Then you will have the ti...
    Sorry to make your joke too obvious. Some folks might not have got it.

AndyTake2 likes this.
  12. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

We did, unfortunately...

S

AndyTake2 and MJB like this.