1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Static fogging

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by tamos, Jan 15, 2002.

1. tamos

tamos Member

I've recently had a problem with a film (C41 black and white 400 ISO). On a number of frames (and between them) there's either a line of dots, horizontally across the centre of the image, or a random scattering of dots. These were particularly evident on the first set of prints as they showed up pink on blue-grey prints. Looking like flare and chicken pox respectively.

I originally thought they were chemical damage from the development process but the lab have eventually claimed that the marks are the result of static fogging and probably occurred in camera (Bessa R).

The roll was exposed during stormy conditions with lightning strikes out to sea. The camera does have a metal shutter.

Is anyone aware of this phenomenon and is it likely to have caused the damage to the negatives?

Thanks

2. CHIPS

CHIPS Well-Known Member

While waiting for someone who knows to pass by I'd say thet static can cause problems - fast rewind in dry conditions can cause it - but Metal shutter and body ought to discharge it rather than otherwise. If I were you I'd immerse a few less worthy negs in fixer ASAP (for 5 -10 mins) and rewash them for a good long time - if the spots disappear your lab will blush. If it trns out to be static then I suppose you're lucky to have a camera - and a you. Cheers

3. David Stout

David Stout Well-Known Member

It's unlikely to be static but there could be a slight possibility. I remember that when separating 120 film from the sticky tape in the dark, there was a distinct glow as I pulled the two apart. I used to do it slowly to minimise this. I think it was a static/electrochemical effect - the breaking of chemical bonds and the physical breaking of the two must have generated some friction to cause this.

Anybody else ever noticed this?

David

4. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Yep, happens all the time if you rip the backing paper from the film (120) instead of seperating the two carefully. Generates quite a spark too!

Big(Sparky!)Will

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Not me - I always do it with my eyes shut!
    (Loading film, Will!)

Nick NRIPN
    Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

6. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

I always end up winding the film perfectly round entirely the wrong object like an old beer tin or such that has been lying on the darkroom floor!

Big(Now where did I set that spiral?)Will

7. CHIPS

CHIPS Well-Known Member

Ripping photo paper in the dark to make rough test strips can be entertaining - certainly Agfa gets quite ec-static.

8. domroberts

domroberts Well-Known Member

another static fogging dilemma

I doubt if it is static, but we do have a similar phenomenon with old Konica type-3 Disc film we process. This is about 10yrs outdated.

It is the only type of film affected, Konica type-2 and other films are not affected. We consistently notice a sporadic pattern of yellow dots (about 5-10mm diameter on 4.5" prints) across numerous but not all frames. We put it down to specific deterioration from the plastic casing, but I am not entirely happy with this diagnosis. It almost seems like a camera computer system is putting a 'code' on the negative, but the films have been exposed in simple Disc cameras.

Films are stored in controlled conditions here and loaded without noticable static discharge, so the problem must occur while the film is still in the camera or while actually while being used as new.<br><br>Anyone have any ideas?

Dominic Roberts - Commercial URL removed