1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starblitz 100 Ring Flash on 550D advice please.

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Pete Bony, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

I have a Canon 550D and a 400D, both of which I am delighted with. I recently bought a Vivitar 100mm Macro Lens and a 1-1 adaptor to go with them, again I am dlighted with it! The Macro lens came with a free but working perfectly Starblitz 100 Ring Flash. However the ring flash only came with the sync lead which does not fit the Canon 400D or 550D and no hot shoe adaptor. Can anyone tell me if it possible to use a hot shoe adaptor like this one please - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flash-hot-shoe-adapter-3-5mm-Female-Jack-Socket-2-x-hot-shoes-1-4-mount-thread/162566494168?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 and if not are there ant other options that will allow me to use the Starblitz 1000 Ring Flash on my Canon Cameras please.

2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I'm away a bit dubious about using older flashes with modern DSLRs - I've read that the trigger voltage used by older flash equipment can damage the camera.

To get around this I'd have suggested having the flash triggered off-camera...but that sort of defeats the point of a ring flash, doesn't it?

Cheers, Jeff

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

All vaguely modern Canon DSLRs can cope with a trigger voltage of 250V (there's a sticky in the Canon room about it).

The Starblitz 1000 is reported as being 2.9V. http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html - which would make it safe on anything.

daft_biker likes this.
  4. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Fair enough - although I don't think I'll be connecting my camera up to mains voltage any time soon! :)

Cheers, Jeff

5. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

No , the item you linked to is for if you want to mount a flash on a lightstand or tripod and fire it either wirelessly or via a PC synch lead .

What you need is an adapter that goes onto your cameras hotshoe that give you a PC sync socket .
    See here ; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-EG-Po...398840?hash=item41e8f75a38:g:nXkAAOSwCndZo7jn
    The flash unit is screwed to the lens , and the cable plugs into the device .
    Set the camera to Manual exposure mode and have a play .

The Starblitz 100 was my first ringflash for a Sony a100 ,bought a good few years back though .
    It's a bit of a compromise to use , but at the price I couldn't complain .
    I think the auto exposure mode using the sensor on the front of the flash was for shot's taken at f/5.6 , ISO 100 at up to about 1/4 to 1/2 life size if using a standard 50mm lens .
    For close up rather than macro this works fine .

For Macro you'll probably want to use a smaller aperture , maybe up to f/16 , for greater DOF unless you are stacking .
    As you focus a true macro lens like you have it's like putting a normal lens on an extension tube , so you lose a lot of light and the indicated aperture effectively becomes smaller .
    For this flash to work like this you probably need to use it a full power and adjust your ISO up to give correct exposure .
    Your lens goes up to 1/2 life size by focussing which doesn't lose as much light as 1:1 , so isn't as bad .
    The screw on diopter to get to life size doesn't lose any light , so that will help you .

It worked fine for me until I bought a dedicated macro flash for my system , I still have it to use with some film cameras on occasion .

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  6. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

7. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for that Neil. I am not in a rush for it as I can manage with my 48LED Ring Flash for now so have just ordered one.

8. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

You'll see a big improvement with the Starbitz over the LED's when your up and running with it .
    The Starblitz is a true flash and will give more light out as well as having a much shorter flash duration so will freeze the image better , preventing motion blur that you might be getting with the LED's .

9. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

For most of my close up photography I use one of these simple flash diffusers ; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lightwei...122147622102?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10 , take it out of it's bag and it pops open , slip it around your lens and just use the cameras pop up flash .
    As long as your not too close to what your photographing it gives nice even lighting .
    As your using the cameras flash , just leave the camera in aperture priority mode and leave the camera to deal with exposure .
    For true macro distances , you do need flash though if hand held or the subjects moving .