1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Stand dev and Br drag

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by steveandthedogs, Jun 2, 2020.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Have just developed a roll of Foma 200 in Rodinal semistand.

Now, most of the film is fine, no Br drag and very little grain.

However, [apart from the faecal factor] the first five or six had massive grain and drag, which got rapidly better in the next two and then disappeared, the rest of the roll was fine with no drag and very little grain.

In the past, any drag affected the whole film.

Any suggestions as to why this one was different?

S

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

"drag" is a new one on me. What does it mean?

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

In stand developing the odd fall streaks in the first shot [ignore the fact it's upside down and a bloody useless pic]. This was about the first on the roll.

Compare with the next shot, about halfway down the roll. No fall streaks.

Br drag is what you get sometimes with straight stand, not supposed to get it with semistand. From what I can gather, it is nothing to do with bromide or dragging, but everyone calls it that, so...

IMG_20200601_0032.jpg This way up in the tank.

Pip.jpg

The only thing I can think of is that it was on the tightest bit of the reel and didn't get the effect of the twiddling stick.

S

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I didn’t know what stand development was, so I looked it up, and found what Br drag was as well. So I learned two things.

It would seem that stand development involves no agitation and a long development time in a weak developer solution. The reference I found suggested 60 minutes for Rodinal solution. Depletion of developer can lead to small changes in its density which can lead to microscale flow in the tank. The principle of stand-development is to allow local exhaustion of the developer to control (suppress) contrast so any systematic movement of developer on a scale small compared to the negative frame can lead to uneven development manifested as streaks. The presence of film sprocket holes was cited as having a role to play. Presumably in developing to a clear film base there will be a density perturbation in developer along the film edge which will be uppermost in a Patterson tank. Inversion (one inversion is semi-stand development) will mix the developer and go some way to reduce the effect but increase contrast. It makes sense to me that the effect will also depend on the curvature of the film, as any fluid movement has to take place in the annulus between windings, so it may present differently across the diameter of the spiral.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Thanks. It's five years since I developed a film but I used stand development in Rodinal for several years and never noticed that effect. My technique was to pour in the developer, invert the tank 3 times and then set the timer for 60 minutes. Here's a frame from the last film I developed...

Susie Canon Eos 500 FP4 19.jpg