1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Stabilisation and tripods

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by GeoffR, Jul 29, 2019.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Interesting Letter or the week in AP dated 3 August. Should you turn image stabilisation off when using a tripod, or not? I have to say that the author was right to ignore the "advice" to turn the stabilisation off, and indeed the comment about graduated filters. However, I would say that one should be guided by the camera and/or lens manufacturer. If the manufacturer says switch off or change mode when using a tripod they have probably done the research to support that advice. I've never used my one VR lens on a tripod so I have no idea what, if any, effect it has but before using it on a tripod I would check with Nikon this is what they say: "When the camera is mounted on a tripod there will be very little, if any movement. If the VR function is turned on when used on a tripod, this may result in a reduction in image quality as the VR system attempts to adjust for any slight vibration which will not normally affect the image."
    There is then a list of lenses that can cope wit having VR switched on when using a tripod.

As always, if it works for you, get on with it, there is no "right" way to do things.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Quite. The earliest Canon IS lenses came with advice to switch it off on a tripod. More recent lenses are auto-sensing, and turn it off where necessary.

Of course if something works for someone, even I'd it flies in the face of manufacturers' instructions, then fine.

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Every now and then I forget and leave stabilisation on when using a tripod,I have never noticed any degradation in sharpness. I suspect that in body and lens systems may behave diferently,

4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I have not used my Canon 40D or it s 17-55 F2.8 in years, But if IS was on when it was on a tripod you could actually see the image drift on the screen.
    So there are definitely cameras and lenses where it would be wise to turn the IS off.
    However I usually forget to do so on my Fuji cameras, and it has never been a problem.
    So it is probably best to follow the particular manufacturers advice especially when doing time exposures.

I think early IS systems suffered from un-corrected Gyroscopic precession.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Since stabilisation systems, in my limited experience*, use rate of movement not angle of movement precession isn't generally a problem. Precession at a rate sufficient to cause the image to drift would be pretty unacceptable in even a child's toy.

*45 years in avionics (autopilots included).

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Taking the 70-200 F2.8 L as an example of early Canon IS, it would probably shake the tripod if left on. It is impressively noisy in action, I think it makes use of the mass of the photographer in keeping the lens elements still.

7. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

nevertheless visible drift does occur... what ever the cause.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I'm not suggesting that it doesn't, and I would be intrigued to know why it happens.

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

What I've heard of elsewhere (but not been able to duplicate myself) is a form of self-induced vibration where the stabiliser hunts, inducing vibration in the body, which it then picks up and attempts to compensate for. This supposedly creates a positive feedback loop that gives you shake on the image.

Drifting is something new on me.

10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Setting the 2 second self timer on Pentax cameras when mounting the camera on a tripod automatically switches off stabilisation.

11. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

On my K-5 it also raises the mirror immediately, to reduce the risk of vibration from its movement remaining when the shutter fires two seconds later. I use this setting with a cable release for long exposure tripod shots.

12. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Depends on the age of the lens and what the manufacturer recommends. Newer lens detect a tripod, older ones do not. Even if the recommendation is to turn off IS, in say windy conditions or with a lightweight tripod, leaving IS on may be beneficial. Whatever works for you is best .