1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Sports

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by EightBitTony, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

:D :D :D :D :D ... brilliant, Mike :D

Cheers,
    Jack

RovingMike likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Of course it’s sport! Must get busy on a competition days. Good to know there is one at Nottingham. There is one at Stockton on Tees too, several of us travelling to a meeting met up there once, so as to arrive at the meeting more or less at the same time. The only one I have photographed at (once) is Lee Valley at Waltham Cross built for the London Olympics.

You have some good shots there. You have renewed my resolve to find an event to photograph.

Getting too many images on the day is inevitable. Capturing faces is really difficult, everything moves so fast. I was looking back on Flickr. It was 2016 that I was at Lea Valley and the main activity of the day was white water rafting, presumably corporate team building events, with few kayaks in between. You probably do need a fast burst mode. On that day I had my 5Ds which is quite pedestrian when it comes to shooting bursts with raw files.

Done_rundleCams and EightBitTony like this.
  3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

His fat, flying ponies were a mainstay of my wife's youth.

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Quite right. I find they all come out far too identical. Slow mode does the job for me on the rate occasions I need it.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I should have refined my comment. I tend to double-tap rather than shoot long bursts and having a camera on high can fire twice per tap which can be handy for the kayak where water is splashing all over the place. Normally I’d have a low setting and get 2 shots from a double tap. I absolutely agree that machine-gunning is counter productive if you are the one sorting the shots out. I suspect any professional shooting 10 s bursts @ 10 fps has someone else to wade through the results. I can’t imagine anyone sorting out 10 s of “mirrorless” burst at 30 fps, even a double tap would give 6-10 exposures.

6. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Well, cricket is back, as is sore muscles and some bastard moving the floor further away over Sunday night. Bearing in mind conversation earlier in thsi thread, as well as the usual gubbins, I tried a few atmosphere shots - we played at Marlow Park which is in a park in Marlow (no manure, Sherlock!), on a sunny day, so plenty of spectators (and rather less social distancing than I'd like). You'll have to excuse the big pics - I set to resize everything automatically to 1000 pixies for the club Dropbox, and I really can't be arsed to resize again.

I also had a quick go - not wanting to waste too many shots before I know what Ineed to adjust - with the variable ND filter. Definitely needs work on technique! _DSC0043.jpg _DSC0055.jpg _DSC0132.jpg _DSC0183.jpg _DSC0233.jpg _DSC0324.jpg _DSC0282.jpg _DSC0209.jpg _DSC0078.jpg

7. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

A great collection of photos, Adrian :)

Cheers,
    jack

8. gray1720

Incidentally... do you need the hands of a surgeon and the eye of a hawk to fit the release cable to all Nikon DSLRs? The mounting grooves are so tiny it's an effing 'mare!

Thanks, BTW, Jack - for not mentioning the out of focus ones!

9. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

The painter is brilliant!

S

RovingMike and Learning like this.
  10. gray1720

I wouldn't know - I didn't go and take a look!

steveandthedogs and EightBitTony like this.
  11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

There's something essentially English about your cricket pictures Adrian. Even a church spire in the background. Like the set for a Midsomer episode.

12. gray1720

EightBitTony and RovingMike like this.
  13. gray1720

_DSC0192.jpg And another: (weird - if I try to copy and paste the image it flashes up fpr an instant then vanishes)

steveandthedogs and EightBitTony like this.
  14. EightBitTony

File size is too large, browser shows it at your end, then starts the conversation with the web server, and it declines to accept the image.

15. gray1720

That might explain it - I resize to 1000 pixies for sharing and I'm afraid I canna be earsed to resie again for here. Shouldn't be the file size, though, should be around 100kb.

16. EightBitTony

If you rezise it in an app, and then try and copy and paste from there, you'll find you're getting a file much bigger than the file size when you save it. Because it's copying the uncompressed in-memory image size.

If you save it first from the app, and then copy and paste, the app's in memory image size will be smaller. Happens to me all the time when I forget, you have to,

1. resize
    2. save
    3. then select, copy and paste from in the app

If you do,

1. resize
    2. select, copy and paste

you'll find it might still be too big becasue it's copying the original image size.

17. gray1720

Odd - I'm copying from the saved files in the folder.

18. EightBitTony

There's one other option, which tool are you using to do the copy paste? Depending on how the tool in question handles the file, the in memory object can be much bigger than the on-disk size. If it's trying to paste that, it may be the problem.

19. gray1720

Ctrl-v

20. EightBitTony

Sorry, I meant which graphics editor are you opening the file in?