1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Sports

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by EightBitTony, Jun 11, 2020.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I don’t shoot it at all anymore. I used to take photos of Becky playing hockey but she doesn’t play anymore and I don’t go and watch any sport.

3. EightBitTony

We all know one cricket photographer, so I'm just waiting for @gray1720 to notice the thread.

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Who he?

I'll see what state I'm in when I get home tonight (I went to bad at 9 last night, having got home at 7.30...) and see if I can post some appropriate thoughts and pictures.

Adrian

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

If you have preconceived notions of sports photography, try Hans van der Meer. Refreshingly different approach.

ptermx likes this.
  6. ptermx

ptermx Active Member

Thanks for the pointer, Zou. Hans van der Meer is my kind of photographer! It's interesting to read that he came to photograph football this way (almost as landscape; elements of street photography) from looking at old photos from the first half of the 20th century and how they differed from the long-reach telephoto, isolated action shots we're all familiar with today. He attributes that to photographic technology (faster film, telephoto lenses), but the ramping up of professional football into a massive money-making industry and, more broadly, the ramping up of the celebrity industry and the co-opting of photography to serve those are part of it too.

It's not just his football photos - his "Nederland - Uit voorraad leverbaar" set, in particular made a big impression on me. I can see myself returning over and over to his site as I reflect on his images.

Peter

Zou likes this.
  7. gray1720

Funnily enough, I was going to mention a chap who took a Leica with a 50mm lens to a Superbowl, Hans's photos are in similar vein but on a far more relatable level. I love the one of the chap taking a corner from between two piles of brushwood!

So... what do I do and why? Well, I like cricket, and I like photography, so sooner or later they were going to meet. Back when I was still sticking to fillum and using my gratis Nikon F3 I decided I needed a lens for cricket, and bought a second-hand 400mm F5.6 Nikon prime from Mifsuds. When I belatedly went digital, that decided which system I would go for, and I ended up with a second hand Nikon dSLR with a crop-factor sensor, meaning that my full-frame 400mm now covered the same area of the sensor as a 600mm - extra inches are a good thing!

Since then it's been a learning experience - learning that it's a total PITA to shoot from a tripod, for example, especially if you want to move. So I got a shoulder stock, which is less stable than a tripod, but much more portable.

I've got a better stock since, but this is roughly what I use.
    [​IMG]My cricket rig. by gray1720, on Flickr

A big plus of shooting local cricket (apart from getting me out of umpiring and scoring!) is that I pretty much have free reign to wander where I like. The lens gives me enough reach to get half-decent pics even if I go somewhere bigger - below is from Edgbaston - but on some of the smaller village grounds I can end up stood in the next field because it's just too long!

[​IMG]_DSC4443 by gray1720, on Flickr

Not having autofocus, I limit myself to where I can predict the action will happen, as I shoot wide open to keep it out of the background - I reckon the DoF is about 4 feet, which is good enough if I focus on the batsman, or the stumps if I'm trying to photograph the bowler (don't often do that as usually I am fielding or bowling myself when we are bowling). So it's a case of pick an end, and focus on the batsman. With digital I can machine-gun (I love that I've found a genre where the throwing shit at a wall approach actually works!) and I can get action series, or I can pick the best. You do need to anticipate, or you'll find you get a lovely shot of the batsman finishing his follow through. I also tend to move round as the bowlers swap ends, and just look fo different angles. I do find that there are definite better areas, though. Relatively straight on is good, as is square-on. From one end, square on, you will find yourself taking a lot of photos of men's arses, but if they play a shot to the leg side you'll suddenly get a much more interesting view (well, I s'pose it depends if that floats your boat).

Eye contact is a bit awkward as these days nearly everyone wears a helmet, so you'll have to do your best on that one.

As everyone is in white, I tend to dial in 1.3 stops exposure compensation when the sun is out - days when it is in and out are a 'mare! You also need to watch shooting into the sun late in the game as it gets lower, but you can also get really nice rimlighting.

If I can I also try to get a few atmosphere shots of thevground, and of things going on - though as I only have prime lenses, this is a PITA. A variable zoom (anyone got a nice Bigma gathering dust anywhere?) would make this a lot easier!

Right, lets have a few piccies! Here's an atmosphere shot - for some reason I also have a lot of scoreboards reading 69-2...
    _DSC5182.jpg

And one where access - being in the team myself - gets you action in other places. This went in the annual photobook as a crop to the two guys jumping, and the sign cloned, but the wider view is quite fun too.
    _DSC1768.jpg

See what I mean about arses?
    _DSC5858.jpg

I'll pop a few more in the next post.

8. gray1720

Always watch out for WTF moments - the ball placement here is a plus:
    [​IMG]How many batsmen? by gray1720, on Flickr

The low sun and dark background realy make the image, as well as the shot, ping.
    [​IMG]Thwack! by gray1720, on Flickr

Bit embarrasing this one, taken by one of the players kid, at least as well framed and caught as mine! The bowler's book is well worth a read too (plug plug): https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyl...aving-twins-with-cerebral-palsy-a3276886.html

[​IMG]James M-R bowling by gray1720, on Flickr

Maybe I under-estimated my DoF?
    [​IMG]_DSC2488edit by gray1720, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC2604 by gray1720, on Flickr

Sometimes you get a player who you know will be a good subject - this guy is so committed, you can really see him straining every sinew. Love taking pics of him.
    [​IMG]Determination by gray1720, on Flickr

The more you practice the luckier you get - eye contact, and the ball running straight towards me make this one:
    [​IMG]Edited version by gray1720, on Flickr

Right, anyone else want a go?

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

What can we say?
    I am not a cricket enthusiast but the only two shots that do not really get my attention is the first one of equipment and that of the scoreboard (although 113113was well spotted). The action shots are all superb. All the more so given the the equipment used. I think that skill and love of the game really get to the viewer.
    Sorry to make you blush.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    Done_rundleCams and Zou like this.
  10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Going back to HvdM, there's a lot to be said for the wide shots. These days the norm is for closer views and expressions but do they really stick in the memory? There must be thousands of pictures of Messi or Ronaldo with either celebratory or sulky faces but are any iconic? So are they just records, rather than art? Not sure - does a close up of a face tell you the score or how the game was won? Rarely so, I think. So like Adrian's cricket photos, the action shot, is that where it's at?

Lots of questions, few answers.

Done_rundleCams and EightBitTony like this.
  11. gray1720

Indeed, Zou! I wonder the same myself - I often take "atmosphere" photos, but they don't fit so well with the photobook (let's face it, we all like to see ourselves looking heroic... which is why I put people getting out and funnies in at the end, and try to make sure there's at least one of me looking an ass), and are harder to find late in the evening when you are bushed! I certainly don't have many (any) that rival some of Hans' work. The closest in the above is the wider shot of the bowler, which isn't even mine.

There's one particular shot I'm thinking of, which is of the entire England team heading for the bowler making a perfect arrowhead shape - I thought it was by Patrick Eagar but it may postdate his retirement as it was fairly recent. Here's his page in Getty Images, lots of atmosphere ones there:https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photo...pe=photography&phrase=patrick eagar&sort=best

I'll have to see if I can find the photobook folder I sent the files to Photobox from, though I have a feeling I may have deleted it once I'd done as I still have the original originals.

Done_rundleCams and Zou like this.
  12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I'm not much of a sports fan at all, particularly if I'm forced to watch it on television which just seems pointless to me. If I were interested enough I'd be at the match. I'm not interested enough to drag myself off to a pitch/court/stadium so why would I want it in my house?

Anyway, because my other half enjoys watching sport I didn't kick up all that much fuss when he insisted on bidding for Olympic Games tickets. And I didn't go too far in expressing my disappointment that we got some. These are my only sport photos that don't involve my own children.

300712-014.jpg
    Yanina Wickmayer

300712-007.jpg
    Roger Federer

280712-008.jpg
    No idea but dressage.

13. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I am no sport liker, sorry I do shoot motorsport but rarely any other

Dsc_3655.jpg Dsc_6167.jpg

14. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Do carriage trials count as a sport? I guess they do. I really like watching them but it isn't a spectator sport, there is only ever information for participants not for those who would watch. I try to connect when they ride through the park at Erddig which is open to the public but most trials seem to take place on private land.

[​IMG]274A0231.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

15. Stephen Rundle

I prefer motor and other

ALL are (c)

d.jpg dragon.jpg Dsc_3117.jpg Dsc_6411.jpg DSC_8492.jpg Dsc_6411.jpg

16. gray1720

Ah, Brands Hatch! I do like the bikes from behind shot - the unexpected angle!

The shot of Federer is good too - I think the pace works. The other I think needed less, but I'm guessing that's the limits of your kit?

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  17. Stephen Rundle

No it was what Classic Cars Magazine paid me for not my kit and these are un edited ;)

As for the first one as you will know IF you shoot sports a shot like that is an instant get it or not no matter how it looks

18. Stephen Rundle

Federer is good too

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you mean "Theo Paphitis"

19. Stephen Rundle

"but I'm guessing that's the limits of your kit?"

Unedited

D4s, D810, Siggy 150-600 sport and Nikkor f2.8 70-200 and Nikkor 80-400 Nano f4.5-5.6

20. EightBitTony

I think Adrian is talking about the tennis photos in the second sentence, not your shots.