1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Southwest UK - location for wedding anniversary photoshoot?

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Stefanos, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Stefanos

Stefanos New Member

Hi all,

I'm new in the area of SW (living in Bristol) and I'm looking for a nice & beautiful location to do a photoshoot to celebrate a wedding anniversary. The idea is to look for a natural setting that would be a bit romantic; something like a beautiful small lake or a picturesque stone bridge, hopefully you get the idea.

I know there must be lots and lots of beautiful spots around the area, but being new around here I wouldn't know where to start looking. So if you have any suggestions that'd be great!

Thanks,
    Stef

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. I'd suggest to ask the celebrants, they may well want to reprise the past. Otherwise I think you need to give a radius around Bristol. There is a lot of SW !

3. Stefanos

Stefanos New Member

Hi Pete, thanks for the welcome and the quick response :)

Actually you made realise that I wasn't very clear in my first message; it's my own wedding anniversary!
    So my wife and I are the ones looking for a beautiful spot for our first anniversary.

Also, we haven't booked a photographer yet (still looking), I'm sure when we do they might have some suggestions of their own.

Location-wise anything within a couple of hours driving distance from Bristol is fair game, that should cover quite a large area I suppose.
    We could even travel a bit further if we find a location that 'clicks'.

4. PeteRob

Ah, wrong end of the stick on my part. I'm usually driving through. Two hours drive takes in a lot of very pretty country including Cheddar, Glastonbury, Wells, Bath ... Suggest to spend some time on google earth until someone local comes along with specific ideas.

5. Lindsay Pennell

Lindsay Pennell Well-Known Member

Lacock village for sure. Combines beautiful location, places for a nice lunch, appropriate photographic location...

Mark101 likes this.
  6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Stourhead, but the NT might be iffy about a professional photo shoot.

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I lived in Somerset for about 20 years, and suggest looking at Montacute House or Lytes Cary Manor, which are smaller and possibly less busy than Stourhead. I don't know how helpful the NT would be, but suggest you ask about a weekday out of school holidays. Unless, of course you are an active or retired schoolteacher, which probably means you got married in the school holidays. My sister was a schoolteacher, and all 3 of her children were also born in school holidays...

Or for something less formal, Cheddar Gorge or Stonehenge (lots of stone, but no bridge) on a quiet day.

8. Stefanos

Stefanos New Member

Hi all. many thanks for your suggestions!

Stourhead looks to be the closest so far to what we've been imagining, but if it gets really busy then it might not be the best solution. Most likely we're going to do this on a winter weekday, so maybe that's not gonna be an issue.

The less formal ideas are also welcome, hadn't really thought of Stonehenge! Although this would have to be a really quiet day to work for us....

9. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

10. PeteRob

I don't think it's a problem. They want to make money so there will be a fee. Earlier thus year footage for "the secret garden" was taken at Bodnant and whole sections of the gardens were closed to the public. Bit irinic that there are no walled gardens at Bodnant!

11. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I meant it may be a problem if you do not ask permission and pay if necessary.

12. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

There is always Jane Austen 's favourite seaside at Lyme Regis.

13. Jeltz

Jeltz Active Member

Heaven's Gate overlooking Longleat and Shearwater are very close to each other and would provide some different backdrops.

I took a walk out to Sheawater Jan 2017 and put this on Instagram taken with a pretty poor phone camera but you get the idea of the variety of backdrops
    [​IMG]

14. Stefanos

Stefanos New Member

Hi jeltz,

thank you very much the suggestion, I'll try to visit the place to check it out :)