1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony RX100 Mark 1

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by nickyr, May 16, 2014.

1. nickyr

nickyr Well-Known Member

I am keen to get a "carry anywhere with me" camera and am tempted by the above because of its RAW capability and full manual control. Does anyone have any experience with it - happy or otherwise to help me decide?

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

For me one of the big turn-offs was the lens ring - laggy and no tactile feedback. The overall size is great for portability, but I found the buttons too cramped to be comfortable, and I have fairly small hands. It's a camera I expected to love but the reality was not so. I was looking at it for similar reasons to those you mention and I found it very disappointing in the hand (I always go hands-on prior to a purchase). I ended up with a NEX-3N with 16-50 lens instead.

3. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

I was tempted by it for the image quality and sensibily limited zoom range. I handled it and found it basically to be a bar of soap that takes very good pictures. I didn't like the menu layouts which I didn't find intuitive enough. From what I have heard the handling is the most frequent criticism of what otherwise seems a great bit of kit so I would echo the advice of trying before buying.

4. nickyr

nickyr Well-Known Member

thanks both - definitely a case of try before you buy then

5. Molendinar

Molendinar Well-Known Member

I'd echo that. I got one for its "carry anywhere" size too, and particularly because it does RAW. The menus are not the most intuitive, but I can live with them, having had Sony DSLRs. The picture quality is great, you have full control if you want/need it, or fully automated if you don't, and it fits in a jeans pocket.

My only quibble is using a camera without a viewfinder in bright sunlight is difficult, but that's common to all point & shoots, and not a flaw in the RX100 as such.

Handle one and see if you like it; if you do, it's a lot cheaper than it used to be, and now the mark III is on the horizon, it'll probably get cheaper still while you can still find them.

6. nickyr

nickyr Well-Known Member

Handled one in PC World today - it is very small and I have large hands so don't think I'd get on with it.

I might try to have a look at a Nikon P7800 which could then go some way perhaps to replace my D200 (which I currently use as back up to my D700) as well as acting as an everyday camera.

7. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine bought one and also found it was like a 'bar of soap'. However, he attached a couple of thin strips of Velcro to the camera. This has made handling much easier. :)