1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Repairs

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by fabs, Apr 27, 2009.

1. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Anyone had any dealings with Sony with regards to camera repairs? The AF appears to have gone on my A700 (Although it does still work with the 70-200 G lens. I'm assuming this is because of the SSM in the lens itself?) and am about to send it of to Sony. I was just wondering how efficient they are and when I could hope to get it back.

Unfortunately it is out of warranty so it's going to cost me about £135. :(

2. DaveG40

DaveG40 Well-Known Member

I found them friendly, efficient & professional with a in warranty problem (Sony A100), and a minor issue concerning a strap, turn around time was about 3 weeks for both, if you're paying I'd imagine turn around would be quicker (because of payment clearance etc).

To highlight the level of service; I returned the A100 because of several faults which they rectified, they even replaced my LCD even though it only had one dead pixel.

The fault/return form can easily be found on Sony's web site.

You usually get a follow up letter/questionairre (after all the work's done)a few week later.

I have seen other users taking their camera's into Jessops (not a Sony though), who I think send the camera onto the relevant manufacturer.

3. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Dave. I filled out the request online and the camera is packed and ready to go in the post tomorrow. Fortunately I received my second A700 two weeks ago so I'm not without a camera.

4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Let's hope that their postcode is now on the Royal Mail's database. It wasn't when I tried to send a camera in for repair last year. Only after some minor web based detective work and extra information would my local sub-Post Office accept the parcel for recorded delivery.

5. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've had that before. This one is a Freepost address but they have advised getting a proof of postage certificate. Is that the same as Recorded Delivery?

6. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

In a case like this, I assume that the Proof of Posting is to help Sony sort out any dispute, but the amount of compensation from RM, I think, is quite limited. I'd expect the accepting officer to use the same database. From the attitude at my local sub-Post Office, I'm pretty sure that if the post-code isn't recognised as correct for the named addressee or street address, then their software won't accept the item for recorded delivery.

From memory, I think I used Google and Google Maps on their postcode, and added the street address to the parcel; or phoned them for the extra info. At the time even slightly old maps were showing a huge area of derelict land where their site was.

The good thing was I had my HD camcorder back fully repaired quite quickly, and working perfectly.

7. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Thanks Malcolm. I had a look on google maps ad it shows a very large building complex so hopefully there won't be any problems.

8. DaveG40

I sent my camera via courier but that was under a warranty agreement, proof of posting does'nt give you any better level of protection/cover than Recorded I'm afraid, I believe the limit to be only about £35 (I don't know the exact amount of cover), so if the camera went missing you'd only end up with a fraction of the camera's price, personally I'd sent it via special delivery because the post office gurantee that it will be delivered the next day, you can track the parcel & you're covered in the unlikely event that the camera goes walkies.

If it were a Canon or Nikon i'd just send it in a jiffy bag and send it 2nd class /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

So it's pretty pointless it being a freepost address then? :(

10. DaveG40

How can it be tracked / proven that they've received the camera /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sending it freepost puts a lot of trust & faith in the postal service etc, obtaining a proof of postage (which is free) & in conjunction with a work/task number from Sony you'd at least have proof of postage etc, but as far as I'm aware (I might be wrong), if things go wrong and it goes missing you would'nt get much in the way of compensation.

Contacting Sony by phone may put your fears to rest ??.

11. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave, I may well do that.

12. pachinkofan

pachinkofan Well-Known Member

Hi, proof of postage will only give you compensation of up to 100 x the cost of first class [37 quid or whatever the first class stamp is these days]

Better with special delivery, it's tracked at all stages [as opposed to recorded which is only tracked if/when it gets there] and you can check on the web which sorting office it's at etc en route.

Plus you can get insurance of 250 or 1000 I think.

P.S. Last time I had to send something to a Freepost address [recorded] I only had to pay the recorded delivery side of the postage.

G>

13. DaveG40

Just got home, so able to provide better info:

Special Delivery Next day (guranteed delivery before 1pm the next day), would cost you £6.70 (that's for a consignment of up to 1kg, it would be £5.40 if weighing up to 500g), the cover on that is £500, pay an extra 75p (£7.55) and you get a £1000 of cover.

This Link to Royal Mail FAQ explains the compensation value for 1st class post etc.

Hope this helps and all goes well.

14. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, will definitely go with Special delivery. Posting it today so hopefully all will go well.

15. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Well, just got back from the post office and it cost me £9.75!! The scales showed it as weighing 1.3kg. I weighed the other body+battery when I got home and it was 800g and I sincerely doubt the packaging was half a kilo so I am certainly doubting the accuracy of those post office scales. :mad:

16. DaveG40

You'd be surprised, I've "sadly" spent many an hour shaving off bits of boxes etc to get within a certain weight, the Post Office put their prices up at the start of April, and some of the tarrifs they charged went up a lot (how else are they gonna pay their pensions?.)

I usually use cheap and nasty kitchen scales and am normally spot on when it comes to getting the weight right, you can normally add 200-400 grammes by using an apparent light box, add in any packaging and it soon adds up, so it sounds about right; 800 grams for the camera plus 500 for box and packaging. At least it should've got there in one piece & you have'nt got to worry about sending it back after repair. You'll just have to sell you TC, LOL.

17. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

I probably would have been better off forgetting the box and just wrapping the camera in lots of bubblewrap. I would always trust my kitchen scales over post office ones otherwise my yorkshire puddings would be horrendous! :D