1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony or Sigma lens

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by papapino, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Either that or the gears will be made stronger in all fittings and they'll all become more expensive!

2. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Indeed.

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I've never heard of a Minolta or Sony lens having the problem ... so I put it firmly in Sigma's court.

4. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Oh, I would agree whole heartedly. No doubt they didn't put much research in when producing the lenses for the new Sony DSLRs.

5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

It would be most interesting to have a professional strip down and report on the quality of manufacture of various third party lenses. NOT just how well they perform optically but how well they are made in comparison with the manufacturer's own lenses. What gets lightened/omitted/cheapened etc. Or maybe even improved.

Something AP could commission?

6. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Now that would be worthwhile and not only to Sony users.

7. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

The problem with Sigma (not only with Minolta) is that they did not pay royalty payments for the technology, but, reverse engineered, therefore would not know exactly what the original tolerances Minolta designed into their lenses.
    So am not surprised that new Sony Alphas can strip Sigma lenses, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony knowing this issue didn't just up the power on the latest models knowing that legacy Minolta, Konica Minolta and Tamron lenses would be able to handle the torque, whereas Sigma lenses would not!

8. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I say, that would be a bit underhand would it not :eek:

9. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Why? I think that would be a completely reasonable business premise, if a competitor is circumventing your intellectual property/rights and your design/build specifications alter to the point that their reverse engineered product is no longer capable then I'd say that is their problem, the fact that it might also p*ss of some of their customers and maybe persuade them to get Sony/Tamron glass then I'd say result!
    If I were running Sony and Sigma weren't paying for license rights it's what I'd do :D