1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony NP-FM500H battery.

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by swanseadave, Mar 3, 2016.

1. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

2. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I'd be amazed if they were genuine at that price .
    That seller is new with little feedback , but what negative has been left is for fake batteries .

With this type of Sony battery a quick check can be made by looking into the end of the terminals .

Genuine Sony ones are solid in the bottom of hollow area .
    Fakes have a small hole at the bottom of it .

This is the same in all three terminals , and seems to be the only consistent feature of all fakes .

I Look forward to an update .
    If it's not clear the bit I mean , let me know and I will take a shot of my genuine ones and a fake .
    Third party batteries also have these holes in them , but they don't claim to be something there not .

Fakes and forgeries are big business , the batteries used can cause problems or even overheat when charged .

3. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I don`t quite see what you mean Neil.
    My camera,A350,immediately rejected a Duracell third party battery with the phrase "infolithium only"which suggests to me that only genuine Infolithium Sony batteries will be accepted.

The camera immediately accepted this new battery showing 75% charge.The Sony battery that I bought with the camera and the new one are identical in every way.All three terminals are hollow.I guess that`s what you mean?
    I also looked on the Sony website and their photo of the NP-FM500H shows the terminals to be hollow also.So what does that tell you?

4. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

The issue is that although the chip in the battery is recognised by the camera , the rest can cause problems .
    If your lucky the cells used die after just a few month's and won't hold or accept a charge .

If your unlucky the bits that regulate the power could cause problems .

Third party batteries , even cheap ones don't normally cause issues .
    Quality and how long they last is a different thing .
    I bought some cheap batteries when u got my a580 as they used a different battery than my a100 .
    They worked fine for about 6 months , by which time I had got some more genuine Sony ones .

The fake ones tend to have more spent on the forged packaging than the battery inside .

I'm at work today , but can post some pictures of the bit I mean later , if I can work out how to make a post on my computer .
    This new forum hasn't got a reply box in windows 10 for some reason .

I'm typing this on my phone .

If you look at the terminal of a genuine Sony battery , they look like a bucket , is , a hollow tube with a flat , solid bottom in it .
    In third party and fake batteries , when you look into the terminal , it's like looking into a bucket with a hole in the bottom .

When I get home I will try to post a picture .
    A pictures worth a thousand words , but I can't figure out this new forum layout !

I will try though .

5. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

I've got a third party FM500H and the terminals are solid ie the bucket ain't got a hole dear Liza. Unfortunately it did work but won't any longer. The camera reports battery as not compatible.