1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony NP-FM500H battery

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by swanseadave, Oct 3, 2015.

1. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I`m shocked at the price of OE batteries so thought I`d ask for any seller recommendations.

I would trust Duracell or Energiser but what should I avoid please?

2. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Amazon have loads to choose from, I'd be inclined to avoid the lowest priced ones around £6 - £10, I think the ones I got were about £12, I see they have Duracell and Energiser which are a bit dearer than that but nowhere near Sony's robbery.

One thing that may be worth checking is the capacity, I bought replacement batteries for a Panasonic and a JVC camcorder, in both cases I was able to get batteries of about twice the capacity for less than the OEM ones, I've not checked if that is also the case with the Sony .

As with other things for Sony I often wonder how they justify some of their prices, a few of their lenses are actually badged versions of Tamrons, e.g. 55-200 and 70-300, some say the Sony badged ones have either faster AF or better coatings, even so something in the region of a 50% mark up seems a bit steep.

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

If asked about their prices they'll reply "Sony is not a budget brand" :) Take it or leave it I guess.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I bought a Sony A65 from a Ebay seller that came with a Maxsima battery (2100 mah), I complained to the seller as it was not declared and accepted a part refund (I have a float of spare original batteries). This runs down far quicker than a genuine battery so I just use it in a body that is used only for photographing Ebay items. So that is one to avoid.

5. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

They didn't do well in 2014, losing $1 billion in the financial year to April 2015. That was on top of a $1.25 billion loss the previous year.

This year, they've cut their compact camera range dramatically, to concentrate on the enthusiast and prosumer market. It looks like, if you want to cut corners financially, they'd rather you did business with someone else.

6. swanseadave

Thanks for the info Mike.I would have avoided the cheap ones so Amazon it is.I had looked on fleabay and some of the batteries on there look dubious.
    As you and the Senator point out,Sony seem to treat customer after sales with contempt.
    The camera I just bought has only one OEM battery so a fully charged spare is essential.

Ta very much all.:)

7. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I take it all the batteries from your a100 are all the older type without the groove ?

Anyway , avoid eBay , there are even fake of third party batteries on there , not just fakes of OEM ones .

8. swanseadave

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I got lucky with the batteries I bought on Ebay at different times. All were genuine, even the one I thought might be a fake.

10. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member