1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Sony NEX-C3 - Letters 2 July 2011 issue

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Roy5051, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Mike Rignall of Gloucestershire has a point with regard to the new Sony NEX-C3 design, and the other two NEX-series cameras from Sony.

Whilst the camera body itself may be a thing of beauty, the lenses that are attached to the front are an abortion, and make the camera unwieldy and unbalanced. It is all very well saying that the camera is the smallest interchangeable-lens digital camera in the world (prior to the announcement of the Pentax-Q) but a camera without a lens is absolutely useless. Manufacturers should not be allowed to get away with these erroneous descriptions - a camera has to have a lens attached for it to become a useable camera, and looking at the size of the Sony lenses, it is surely NOT the smallest.

As to the flippant reply by the Editor, (tongue in cheek though it may have been) may I say that unless the reply is relevant to the point raised in the letter, no reply should be made.

2. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

But if you put a SEL16F28 pancake lens on it?

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Sorry, Roy, you're betraying your own ignorance there, actually. Mike, who is a long-term member here, is very well known indeed for his pinhole and panoramic cameras, many of which have appeared in AP, so the comment is actually completely relevant.
    Anyway, I much prefer the humanity added by Editor's comments to the sterility you propose.

4. DeeJay

DeeJay Well-Known Member

100% with you on that!

5. Roy5051

Many readers of AP may also be ignorant of that fact, especially ones who do not subscribe to this Forum.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Anyone who's read AP over the last 10 years is likely to have read one of the articles about Mike and his cameras - or at the very least, one of his letters on the subject.

Anyway, I think most AP readers have enough humour to take such a comment even if they are ignorant of who Mike is.

7. Roy5051

Is that pancaman, then, Junior Member, no posts since March 2010? Sorry I do not remember his articles about pinhole cameras, etc. I still stand by what I said, that any reply should reflect the question.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

And I'm still glad that you're not the Editor - how tedious it would be. ;)

9. m.rignall

m.rignall Active Member

Sorry that I have not posted anything since March 2010. There are two reasons for this, firstly I did not see a topic that required a comment and secondly I am only now recovering from colon cancer that occupied several valuable months. . The editor is fully aware that I am a DIY camera builder hence his accurate and amusing comment. The only correction that I would have made is the fact that I now build my cameras with mahogany and brass, not MDF. It served Gandolfi well !

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well it's good to see you again, Mike. Hope you're fully recovered.

Any new projects recently?

11. m.rignall

m.rignall Active Member

New projects a plenty. I have just finished a mahogany and brass version of my PC pinhole camera. There are two of them out in the world already, but the Gandolfi effect prompted me to make a "posh" version. The other project is to simplify my 110 degree panoramic design , also in mahogany to a 2 stop version, providing f 90 and f 270. It is strange, but even the same design when made in MDF (sorry Damien) attracts a little interest, the mahogany version is infinitely more popular when placed on e bay.It seems some out there like the objet d'art as much as the image forming item

12. Roy5051

Welcome back, I hope you are fully recovered.

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I'm not surprised. If I were making such a thing myself, I would probably use MDF, but if I were to buy one, mahogany is a lot nicer to look at - and is less likely to make me feel guilty that I've not made it myself...:D

14. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

Roy, please, say what you mean! ;)

OK, you are quite right, there will be lots of readers who don't know Mike's works, and for them the meaning will be lost. I don't want AP to be some exclusive club where new-comers don't get the jokes...but I couldn't resist this time.

You are also right that the lenses rather spoil the system here, but Sony has not always been one for styling that appeals to the eye. I remember being told off by Sony PRs for describing the DSC-F707 as a tube train backed up against a shed. Seemed accurate enough to me at the time. :D

15. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Don't worry, Damien, only 82% of newcomers won't get the in-jokes.

16. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

A case in point Barney - and a funny one at that. I shall have to tell Angela. :D

17. m.rignall

m.rignall Active Member

If you like a more comprehensible joke look at the jpeg section of www.diyphotographics.sitesnap.co.uk. MDF, paah !!

18. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Funnily enough Angela's tweeted that she's been out and about with the new Olympus Pen today so I've asked her if it'll be getting 82%. :D