1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Sony DSC-HX60 Auto HDR Mode

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Roy5051, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I am having problems with the above mode. I tried it for the first time today, and whilst it seems to work OK, I am a bit bemused as to why the camera records two pictures; I would have expected it to record the picture with the HDR included, but the two pictures recorded are slightly different exposures (to be expected I suppose, as that is what HDR does), and it is difficult to see which one has HDR included.

The camera manual is pretty useless, it does not explain anything, and the Sony website is just as bad.

Is there anywhere on the web that can explain what actually happens when using this function, and which of the two recorded images should be printed to show HDR?

Thank you.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Short of looking it up in the manual, I'd guess the camera the camera combines at least 3 images and gives you 2 interpretations of which you can pick the one you prefer, there being 101 ways to do the blending.

3. Roy5051

You could be right. Pity it doesn't explain itself somewhere, but I suppose when you buy a point and shoot, the documentation is adequate. Perhaps I am just delving too deep into the workings.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The manual says:

"Widens the range (gradation) so that you can record from bright parts to dark parts with correct brightness (HDR: High Dynamic Range). One image with proper exposure and one overlaid image are recorded." ​

So I think you get an HDR image and an image exposed for the average scene brightness - i.e. what you would have gotten if the Auto HDR was off.

If this is the case then the more extreme the contrast in the scene the more different the two images will be. You could try taking a picture of outside in sun from inside a room with the window framing the shot - this is a classic HDR type application.

If the scene is average contrast then the images probably look the same.

5. Roy5051

Thanks for that. The first recorded image looks brighter than the second in almost all cases, whilst the second image has more detail in the sky and brickwork, so I guess that must be the HDR one.