1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Cybershot DSC HX100v

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by James Q, Jan 30, 2016.

1. James Q

James Q Member

SO I'm currently using the above camera, and loving it. But have any of you guys/girls using/have used one? whats the best way to set them up and any how too's for them? I want to get the best I can out of it before I start investing in better gear etc.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I don't have one, but am used to trying to get the best out of compacts. What limitations have you found, and in what areas do you think you could get more out of the camera you have?

For example, when I used to use a compact regularly, I was frustrated with the lack of focus differentiation (it had a tiny sensor). I realised that the only way around that was to use the macro mode and find subjects - not necessarily small things - which would look good within macro range, whilst leaving enough background to be interesting. On another compact, the only way to get long shutter speeds was to use the 'fireworks' mode. So really what I am saying is tell us what you want to do/achieve, and we can probably suggest ways to help, even if we don't have the same camera model.

3. James Q

James Q Member

well it has functions to change its iso settings but not sure how, but is it needed whilst im getting used to it? I'm still getting my head round some of the technical talk like aparture etc. I know this is a basic camera compared to some, just want to get the best I can out of it.

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Have you encountered situations where you have been disappointed with the images? If so, when, and why?

In good light you can probably leave the camera on full auto and get decent results. In my experience the benefit of knowing how to take control of a camera comes when it isn't good light or the shot is tricky for another reason. Unless you feel limited, I suggest you just carry on and focus (no pun intended) on creating images with pleasing composition and which are suitably focused/exposed.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The manual will tell you how to change iso.

Before digital you bought a film. You had different types of film. Sticking with colour negative a standard film was iso 200 in the 2000s. Common choices were 100, 200, 400 for good light (best quality), general purpose, poor light (more grainy).

Your digital camera can have a different iso for each shot.

To take a properly exposed picture you let a "correct" amount of light into the camera by opening a hole (the aperture) for a certain amount of time ( the exposure time, often called a shutter speed). What is "correct" depends on the iso. Double the iso and you need half the light but compromise the quality. Today's cameras are pretty amazing that you have to go to quite extreme settings before you will notice quality getting poor on 6x4 prints.

I put "correct" in quotes because there is always an element of judgement if a shot should be lighter or darker than the camera thinks is right.

There are constraints on exposure time. If it is too long you cannot hold the camera still and everything will be blurred or what you are photographing will have moved.

The aperture is limited. The lens will only allow so many settings from wide open to smallest. A typical range is F4 to F22. The F is a dimensionless number which is the actual diameter of the aperture divided by the lens focal length so it works for all lenses. F moves in sqrt 2 steps because the hole size goes with the diameter squared.

Everything is based on factor 2 which is called a stop.

1/125 to 1/250 is one stop change in exposure time
    F4 to F5.6 is one stop change in aperture
    100 to 200 is one stop change in iso.

So choosing aperture, exposure for a given iso is a calculation the camera will do for you on auto. Some cameras will also choose iso for you in a full automatic mode.

Everything else the camera offers is a refinement of the above.