1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony camera batteries

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Alphonso, May 14, 2015.

1. Alphonso

Alphonso Well-Known Member

Hi .
    I am now the owner of a Sony a7Mk2 camera. and Genuine Sony batteries. Has anyone any Idea why when the battery is left in the camera it loses its charge.

yesterday when I looked at the battery in the rear view it was 63% today without any further use it is 42%. can anyone give me an explanation for this. I suppose if the battery was left in the camera for more than a week it would completely discharge. Would this cause any harm to the battery. I am now charging up the battery. In future I feel that when I am not using the camera I shall remove the battery from the camera.

Also when in use the battery doesn't seem to be able take many shots.

regards

Alphonso

2. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

That sounds plain wrong and is something I've never seen, except when the batteries are dying. If under guarantee, hand it back to be fixed.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Sony cameras do seem to drain their batteries quite markedly when not being used, I find this with my four DSLR/SLT bodies.

4. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I have to say my experience with Sony batteries in my Alpha is rather different.

A fully charged battery at 100% stays at fully charged if not used for several days in the camera.

5. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Interesting.

My DSC-R1 keeps its battery charge for months, when not in use.

I find the Nikons are the worst for running down, when not in use but even they hold their charge for weeks at a time.

6. Alphonso

Thanks for your input.This Sony a7Mk2 Camera and batteries are 1 month old from new.
    So you saying that the batteries Or camera is faulty. I shall have to make further enquiries about this This was Purchased from WEX photographic

Thank you
    Alphonso

7. Alphonso

I will have to get back to WEX photography with this problem.
    This is Genuine Sony battery at £68-00. It make you think.
    Thank you for your input
    Alphonso.

8. Alphonso

Do you remove your batteries from the camera. When not in use.?

I have not myself come across this problem with all my other cameras. I.E .Olympus E5. Nikon D800 e. No problems there I just wonder if I have made a mistake in getting into Sony equipment.

Alphonso

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I leave the battery in the camera. Usefully all four bodies use the same battery and I have a float of seven batteries. One I actually only use to photograph Ebay items, which is the camera I tend to use the third-party battery in, this does discharge rather faster than the others.

My only concern with Sony is that they don't seem very enthusiastic about the A mount now, albeit a couple of new lenses were announced lately. I have no gripes about the performance of the cameras and can cope with the batteries, try using a Nikon D200 or D300 with their battery munching capability!

10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Usually with "new" batteries the advice is that the first few times they are likely(but not always) to exhibit this sort of behaviour, and after they've been discharged/recharged a few times they usually are fine. I'd be tempted to try it out- say film a bit of video as this can run the battery down, playback and then charge the battery up. Do it a couple of times just to see if it charges and retains the charge.

11. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

... that is also my experience except mine can last weeks at 98/100 percent when not used.

12. Alphonso

Which Sony camera do you use these batteries with. Mine, as I have said is the New Sony a7 Mk2
    Thanks for your comments.
    Alphonso

13. Alphonso

I have Nikon D800e and no trouble with that beast. The Batteries remain charged when in the camera, when not in use. I can go out shooting all day long and just use one battery. Recently I took aver a 1,00 shots at the Whitby Goth weekend and just switched batteries once.

Thanks for your input
    Alphonso

14. Alphonso

That sounds like good advice. You may be onto something there. I will definitely try this recommendation.

Thanks for your input.

Alphonso.

15. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

In the manual for my A850, it advises to charge the battery for an extra hour after the charge light goes off, for an absolutely fully charged battery. It might be worth trying this.

Also, the battery will last longer before replacement if it is not allowed to discharge below 30% - it is worth getting a spare.

16. Alphonso

Thanks for your reply I will certainly try this
    Alphonso