1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony a850/a900 version 2 firmware available ...

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Roger_Provins, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

... here.

a850 here.

The upgrade doesn't appear yet (7.45am) on the UK site (they're always slow) but this is the English language version. If you want a different language you'll have to search the various national Sony sites.

All the instructions are there and I've just done mine and all okay. Don't panic if it seems to be taking a while as is does take a few minutes.

Have fun :)

2. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Sounds like a job for Christmas day when I'm allowed to get my hands on the beast!

MickLL

3. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

Are there any upgrades for the A350 or A550? [Edit]If so, where?

Thanks.

4. Roger_Provins

Not that I know of - I doubt the a350 will ever get an upgrade and for the a550 it's probably too soon.

5. TallPaul

TallPaul Well-Known Member

Just A850/A900 today.

I would not hold out much hope for the 350.

The 550 etc are much newer and already have superior AF, which is a bit embarrassing for the A900 flasgship to lag behind mid range models... hence (finally) the firmware update.

6. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Roger

I've fitted a newly charged battery. I've formated the CF card in the camera. I've saved the file in the root directory. I've checked I'm set to CF not Memory stick. I've switched on holding down the MENU button and all I get is the ordinary display in the LCD.

Where am I going wrong. :D

7. Roger_Provins

Did you run the downloaded .exe to get the DSCA900.APP and it's that you've put on the memory stick?

8. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Thanks Rog. Upgraded mine and all's well. Held my breath the whole time, and it took a while... :eek:

9. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Thanks Roger - where would we be without you!

Actually didn't seem to take long at all.

10. cpfc12

cpfc12 Well-Known Member

Can't get the download into my camera. Followed all the instructions about six times, will have to get some help on this.

11. Roger_Provins

Format your memory card in the camera (not by a computer).
    Use a fully charged battery in the camera.

Assuming you're using a Windows computer.

Download the DLSLRA900ver20.exe
    Run the file
    It will extract DSCA900.APP copy this file to your memory card - either by cable to the camera or by using a card reader in the computer.
    Fit card to camera.
    Switch on the camera whilst holding down the menu key.
    It will ask you if you want to upgrade.
    Accept.

12. Roger_Provins

You're clearly laid back - to the rest of us, stressing for a minute waiting to see if we've trashed the camera, is an eternity. :) :)

13. NikonNik

NikonNik Well-Known Member

YIPEE

My trustee old Tamron 180mm f2.5 now works in Aperture Priority AE

14. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Cheers Rog, the deed is done, no hassles, now I need the excuse to try out all these enhancements :D

15. cpfc12

cpfc12 Well-Known Member

No a Mac. Is there something else I should do with this system? Also my camera comes from Hong Kong.

16. Roger_Provins

17. cpfc12

cpfc12 Well-Known Member

Thankyou Roger. Will have another stab at this later today. Believe the problem could be that I don't have the genuine Sony USB cable . I gave it to someone else when I sold my A700. Stupid of me.

18. cpfc12

cpfc12 Well-Known Member

Roger. The job is done. Me and computers just don't get on. I finally found the problem which was the opening of the file from the zip. I am just a Simple Southern Boy.