1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Sony A6000, is it good please?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Louise, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

I love my Nikon D5300 but I also have a compact which I use for when I don't want to carry a bulky SLR around. I would like to upgrade it to a Sony A6000.

Can you tell me if this is a good camera please?

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I don't know about that particular camera but I've owned various Sony cameras and still have an A65 and a HX90. Sony stuff is often really good value but there's always one niggle. In the A65 for instance there's a bug that causes occassional hanging which is completely infuriating while the HX90 randomly refuses to focus close. The most consistently reliable manufacturer in my opinion is Panasonic. I own several of them and still use 5. They always work as advertised and provide consistently high quality results even in adverse conditions.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I haven't a clue about the Sony but the main thing that makes a good camera is how you react to it. One person's best camera is another person's worse. The only way to find out is to try one though you should also check that it has the technical specification that you need.

cliveva likes this.
  4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's still on sale after 4 years, so it can't be bad. If it's right for you is something only you can decide.

5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

A quick look at the specifications suggests that both probably have the same Sony 24 megapixel sensor, so it's not really and upgrade but a change of camera body style. The difference in the weight of the bodies is only 130 or 140 grammes, so the main advantage will be in the smaller size. Note that you will be moving from an optical viewfinder to a digital one, and I recall that in other posts you've mentioned at some medical problems, so make sure that you are not one of those people who have problems with electronic viewfinders. (If I'm confusing you with somebody else, I apologise.)

Your profile shows that you have a Pentax K30: was the Nikon D5300 a replacement for this?