1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Sony a6000 affordable macro lens advice

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by TC_vii, Jan 19, 2017.

1. TC_vii

TC_vii Member

so in essence completely unusable? Thanks spinno

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The OP wrote "I don't really want to spend £100+ as a rookie". Anything providing AF and AAC would cost many times that.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Absolutely not the case - I use the Tamron manual lens all the time, in fact it lives on my Canon dSLR as the default lens. A non auto lens will require you to do more work to save a lot of money. An auto lens will cost you a lot of money to save you a bit of work. It's your choice.

4. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Take a look at my blog here

5. TC_vii

TC_vii Member

So just to clarify, would I be able to change the aperture manually or would it be fixed? If fixed would that limit what I could use the lens for?

I'm more than happy to put the extra work in - that doesn't phase me at all

Thanks for all your help as a novice

6. Andrew Flannigan

You can change the aperture on any manual lens by twisting the aperture ring.

With a manual lens on a digital camera, just set the camera's mode to "A" for aperture control. Twist the aperture ring to wide open (the smallest number which is "2.5" on the Tamron) and focus. Once focused, set the aperture ring to a bigger number, thus closing the iris. Typically, you'd use f16 or f22 (marked "16" or "22" on the ring). Then when you release the shutter, the camera should correctly calculate the speed to use. This is the general way of using manual lenses on digital cameras.

7. TC_vii

TC_vii Member

great thank you, I have a couple of legacy pentax lenses and have got used to doing that (maybe even preferring it)

8. caledonia84

caledonia84 Well-Known Member

9. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

Don't assume that Nikon or Canon make all the best lenses, Because you would be wrong.

10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Indeed, especially where macro lenses are concerned, even the cheap Cosina wasn't actually a bad performer. Where Canon lenses are concerned there are issues with adaptors in that EF fitting lenses are all electronic in their interfacing with cameras and the older FD lenses need adaptors with an optical element in them to achieve focus iirc, which inevitably degrades image quality.

11. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

An Auto Extension Tube Set for Sony E-mount Lenses can be had for under 100 quid and used with the standard Sony lens would make macro work much easier than messing with adapters and other make lenses.

12. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

I used a Sigma 105mm macro in Sony A fit with LEA-EA4 adapter and it worked well.
    I upgraded to the Sony 90mm FE as part of a move to all native lenses and it is better, but not much in terms of sharpness.

Most of the time for serious I use manual focus and very often use an old Medical Nikkor 200mm lens which goes to 3x or converted microfiche lenses for things in the x1/2 to x3 range with Zerene stacking software, continuous lighting and manual everything.