1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony a58 manual

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Kayleigh Page, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Kayleigh Page

Kayleigh Page Member

Hello everyone. I have read and re-read the manual and still do not understand something about this camera. I know how to change the ISO settings but I do not know how to manually change the aperture and both the shutter speed. When I toggle the circle to A I can change the aperture and the same with shutter speed but how do I change both the aperture and shutter speed please? The problem is if the toggle is set at A and I choose an aperture of 5.6 the camera will pick the shutter speed itself whereas I want to be in control of both these settings. Thank you very much.

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

is there an M setting- usually cameras have PASM settings which are for Program (camera sets aperture and shutter speed), Aperture priority (you set the aperture camera sets shutter speed) Shutter (you set shutter speed camera sets aperture) and Manual- you set both aperture and shutter speed

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I would expect it to have a manual mode (M) which will let you set both. The main advantage of manual is if you know the correct exposure and you know the camera will get it wrong. An example is trying to photograph something small against a background that can change from dark or light. If the subject is less challenging and you want a lighter or darker image than the camera suggests in a systematic way then there should be an exposure compensation dial that lets you offset the camera choice of exposure by a fixed amount.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

You'll need to use the M mode on the top dial. Being a single wheel camera turning the small wheel on the camera (it will be on the handgrip to the front or rear) will probably set the shutter speed. To alter the aperture you will either have to move it to the A setting and turn the wheel to do so and then return to M or remain in M and press another of the buttons on the camera and turn the wheel whilst doing so.

Manuals are often lacking in information on how to control such settings.

5. Olderbutnotwiser

Olderbutnotwiser Well-Known Member

In manual mode, adjust the shutter speed with the control dial, press and hold the AV button and adjust the aperture with the control dial.