1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony a100 being discontinued?

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by mike_j, Aug 15, 2007.

1. uzyg

uzyg Member

Hi people,

I am in a situation and need your advice.

I had a Minolta Dynax 5 that broke down on me a while back and was just about to sell the lenses to raise money for a new DSLR. The lenses I have are a Minolta AF Zoom 75-300 (F4.5-5.6) and a 28-100 af zoom lens. Out of pure luck I came across a webpage stating the lenses should fit and work with the Sony Alpha 100 DSLR and after reading up on reviews I was left with a good impression.

My initial plan was to save up and buy the Nikon D40/D40x or the Canon 400D but both would cost more money than the Sony as I only need the Sony A100 body as I have the lenses already! :)

Now I am hearing that the A100 is being disconinued and was wondering if the next/new Sony DSLR that will replace the A100 will take the Minolta lenses??

Is it worth waiting for the new releases from Sony or should I just go for the A100?

Is there a specific problem that may go wrong or to look out for on the Sony A100?

Although many of you do not like the look of silver cameras I may be tempted with this link provided in another thread - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5607439.htm

Its way cheaper than the black version and my Minolta lenses are silver anyway! Although I will deffinatly be getting an extended warranty after my bad experience with the Dynax 5 and it just deciding to die on me after 1 year of use.

All your help/advice is much appreciated.

2. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

The new Sony Alphas will take the existing minolta A mount.

click this link for more info, and there will be news on the 4th September.

www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19547

I for one, will be looking at getting one of the next 2 models to go with my Dynax 7d.

3. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Your lenses have the 'A' mount. Sorry if this is obvious to you but it may not have been. :)

MIckLL

4. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

It's not certain that the a100 is being discontinued - merely that bodies only seem to be in short supply but A100 with kit lens is readily available at a very good price. It's a very competent camera and the kit lens is OK, it will overlap your lenses a bit but probably outperform them. Don't forget to multiply your lenses' focal lengths by 1.5 to get the effective length on the alpha.

The new alpha is generally assumed to slot in above the alpha 100 in the medium price bracket.

5. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

God I hope so.........

just got to decide which one to get when they are both out...

or is that how much the wife will let me spend???? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. Harpoon

Harpoon New Member

I've got a A100 + 18-70 on order with Warehouse Express. I originally ordered on 8th August and I'm still waiting. Rang them last week and the lead time has slipped from September to October.

Working through some retailers:

Jessops - Special order, 28 days
    Jacobs - No stock, possibly 10 days
    AJ Electronics - In store order only
    CameraWorld - Withdrawn - No longer Available
    Calumet - Ships Overdue from Vendor
    Digital Camera Company - 7 to 10 days
    Park - In stock
    Devon Cameras - Stock available
    EmpireDirect - In Stock
    ABC Digital Cameras - Out of stock, 7 to 10 days
    Tesco Direct - Out of stock
    Wilkinson Cameras - Not available

Quite a mixed bag of availability there.

7. ChrisBrookes

ChrisBrookes Well-Known Member

God knows where I will stand with my repair then !! still not heard from jessops with regard to round two of the repair saga !!

8. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Just because it's not available shouldn't stop it from getting repaired.

9. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

Sony confirmed at the launch of the a700 that the a100 is NOT being discontinued. There's no news on a replacement for it yet but based on the average DSLR lifespan of about 18 months I'd estimate it might be about next spring. In the meantime they'd need to keep the a100 going till at least after christmas otherwise they'll have nothing to sell at the important sub £500 price point at the busiest sales time of the year.

10. ChrisBrookes

ChrisBrookes Well-Known Member

As an update to my repair woes, I went into Jessops yesterday to pick up my Alpha 100 and they had fixed the scroll wheel fault , it worked perfectly in that respect ! However it still did not sync with my 3600hsd minolta flash, I think in a desperate attempt to get rid of me cheaply the manager made a call to the sony people to ascertain whether the 3600hsd was fully compatible with the Alpha 100, to his disdain I think it came back that Sony said it was 100% compatible with the alpha 100 !! So away went the Alpha and flashgun back to the repairers with a Jessops Cd of the images I had taken to demonstrate the Fault ! , the Cd was the managers suggestion which in my opinion was a good one ! All I want to do is be able to sell it confidentally !! So it must work perfectly !!