1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony a100 being discontinued?

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by mike_j, Aug 15, 2007.

1. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

I have contacted two Jessops stores to try to get a replacement a100 and one told me the camera was discontinued, the other that they may be able to get one to special order but could take 6 weeks or so.

I'm stuck with Jessops because I have vouchers from the insurance company.

Sounds as though the new camera launch is imminent.

Both stores tried to get me to buy a Nik-can or similar.

2. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

"Nik-can or similar"

Not too helpful if you want an A100 and presumably have at least one lens in Somy fit.

Any chance that you can hang for the new camera and wangle one of them as a replacement?

Good luck.

3. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

If the insurance is `like for like` and Jessops say the A100 is discontinued, you should (IMHO) be able to use the vouchers as part payment for the new Alpha, if they decide to stock them.

May be worth a visit to

www.dxyum.com

www.dynaxdigital.com

and see what is mentioned there.

4. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

Yes, I can buy anything I want to the value of vouchers or add to it if I want to. I just can't convert them to cash.

My initial intention was simply to collect a new A100 and probably upgrade the lens to the Zeiss 16-80 as I tend to regard glass as a better investment than bodies.

My second thought was to put the vouchers towards a long drooled over Leica M8 body, but I can buy one for £300 less than Jessops price.

So "I'm reviewing the situation". Perhaps this is the time to sell my bag of Minolta lenses and other gear and change camp. Or maybe buy a bridge camera or take up tiddleywinks ----- the possibilities are endless.

It would help if we knew what was happening with Sony

5. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

Thanks - good suggestion but it's all speculation, no hard facts.

Correction - slight typo on your site which is a mortgage and loan company

KM site URL is:
    http://www.dyxum.com/

6. Gordon_McGeachie

oops sorry.......... it me age.

honest. :D

7. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

As long as it's not the affluence of incahol
    /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. Gordon_McGeachie

I`m not under the affluence of incahol that thom theople pink I am....

9. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

thas good -makes three of us
    ;) ;)

10. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I've looked at many retailers on the net and most are out of stock of the A100. This is all very strange as the new camera to soon be released and the one due early next year are not A100 replacements but higher end cameras. I believe Sony said this some time back.

I can't believe Sony have discontinued the A100 because that would leave them with still only one dSLR (and a higher end one at that) when the new model is released.

Maybe manufacture of the new model has slowed A100 production. Seems unlikely but I suppose it's possible.

Anyway, if you have a bag full of Minolta glass there's never been a better time to sell as far as secondhand prices are concerned - they're way up. It may or course be the worse time to sell if the new Sony appears in a few weeks and really is good, you'll maybe wish you'd kept them :)

11. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

I was looking at the Sony forum at DPReview and see there is a lot of discussion about lack of Sony a100 bodies from the stores in the US though kits are still available.

Consensus is that resources have been diverted to the new Sony which will be out shortly

12. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

Sony rumours here-

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/Canon_40D.html

What it says -

"15th In an aside to the current rush of 40D info...

More news on the Sony 'high end amateur' model
    · Lens magnification - (Crop factor) 1.25 x
    · Sensor type and size - CCD sensor (28.6 X 19.8 mm)
    · Resolution - 14.4 mega pixels

"There has been suggestions the name of the new model may be called the Sony A300 with the high end model called the A500. Again, speculations are that the Sony A500 could have a sensor with up to 20 mega pixels."

Meanwhile from the Dyxum forums comes the interesting post... (follow link for more)

· "The advanced model will be 14.* MP and close to FF. It will have 1.25x factor and a switch for lenses with 1.5 factor. It will be called A300. Because of the pixel pattern similar to Sony ClearVid CMOS sensors, Sony will claim up to 2x effective pixel resolution. The flagship model will be called A500 and will be 100% full frame. Nikon is supplying Sony new steppers to create FF sensors in one shot. Sony first joined forces with Konica Minolta, now with Nikon. This gives to both Sony and Nikon advantage over Canon, which Sony believes will eventually drop to a 3rd place; Sony will move up to 2nd place in overall volume of DSLR's sales. The least expensive Sony DSLR will not have optical viewfinder and will be called A50. The flagship model will be 20 MP, 40 effective. That is the reason why Sony concentrates on top quality glass. Sony's advantage will be fact that they are the foremost sensor maker; their output is several times higher than Matsushita, which is second largest CCD maker. "

Meanwhile for a really in depth bit of analysis of the few bits of info directly from Sony, have a look at PA"

13. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Interestingly, Warehouse Express still list it as NEW, but that could just be that they haven't updated the site for a while.

14. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

Certainly working for Jessops supply of the A100 seems to have dried up, not entirely sure why as it does seem an odd move on Sony's part if they're releasing new models that wouldn't have directly competed with it. I will do some digging tomorrow and see whether they're still being supplied or whether Sony is slowly pulling the plug on them.

15. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

lol

- From previous linked blog

Anyway, as to the original query. It might be worth speaking to the insurance company to see if you can get cash instead as their chosen provider cannot assist you. Might be worth checking to see if insurance companies can force you to only shop at one place.

I did query this with my insurance provider when they told me they'd be sending me dixons vouchers. I said I didn't want to shop at Dixons, so they sent me a cheque instead.

16. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

Defected to Olympus

Well It's goodbye to Minolta (KM, Sony) and hello Olympus.

Ebay here we come.

17. GrahamR

GrahamR Well-Known Member

a100

Hi,

I phoned Warehouse Express last week, enquiring about the Sony A100.

They have plenty in stock of both body only and kit lens.

Graham

18. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Re: a100

Shame the OP has vouchers for Jessops really.

19. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

Re: a100

Sony is hosting an international press launch on 5th Sept. No idea what it's for but its a big event so not unreasonable to speculate that its the new Alpha DSLR.
    Canon's big launch for its autumn range is Mon 20th Aug. Expecting the usual new Ixus/Powershot/printer updates, but wouldn't rule out a DSLR in the mix somewhere.

20. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

If you do decide to sell your bag of minolta lens, pm me with the list and prices. I may be interested.