1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony A100 and Minolta Flash Gun

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by PRH, Aug 23, 2006.

1. PRH

PRH Well-Known Member

If this has already been asked my apologies.

Does anyone know if the Minolta 3600HS flash gun is fully compatable with the Sony A100?

Thanks in advance.

2. dynaxgeorge

dynaxgeorge Active Member

The 3600HS is fully compatible with the A100. It will take all the Minolta Dynax flashguns. I use a 5400HS with my A100 and it works a treat.

3. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

But like both Minolta dSLRs it won't fully integrate with the older flashguns I expect. My KM 5D only controls the zoom of the 3500xi flash, I have to use aperture mode and swich the flash to full or low power on the basis of a couple of test shots. Also wireless doesn't work.

4. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Yep the 3600 HSD is fully compatible including ADI, High Speed Synch, Wireless, Preflash etc in fact the 'new' Sony HVL-F36AM is just a rebadged Minolta 3600 HSD.

5. JohnW

JohnW Active Member

Re. 5400HS flash when I connect mine to my a100 it only fires at full blast. Does the comment above mean that it works completely normally for you or do you have to set its output manually?

6. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

AFAIK the 5400HS will only give TTL metering capability which you'll need to set up via the camera (it'll be found in one of the custom functions) it may also be that you'll have to set the flash to TTL mode, but once you've got the Flash and Camera talking to each other properly then you should be able to achieve better results. Unfortunately it's only the most recent Minolta/Sony flashes that will provide the preflash capabillity that Digital needs to get the best results.
    I have the Minolta 7D and 5600 HSD combination along with a couple of ADI(D) lenses, but the flash system is exactly the same as that utilised by Sony

7. JohnW

JohnW Active Member

Thanks Ron that did it. I set the camera to M and flash mode to Pre-flash TTL, then can turn down the power on the 5400 and get a controlled burst. Bit fiddly but better than having to blow another £300 on the flash :)

8. Martin_Jones

Martin_Jones New Member

9. kml

kml New Member

Just a quick question - are the minolta 5400hs and 5400hsd the same flash units? They seem to be a bit different looking and I just want to make sure I get the correct unit for my Sony a100.

Thanks!

10. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Made a dreadful mistake it believing the guy in Jessops when he told me that only the Sony flashguns were compatible with the A100.

Still, I bought one somewhere else for £100 cheaper.

I know it doesn't answer your question, but it shows you shouldn't trust the word of the "Assistants" in these big chain shops.

11. kml

kml New Member

12. einz

einz New Member

Hi there,

I can seem to get my 5400HS to work with my Alpha 100 properly, though I'm not sure if I've quite understood what the others have done. First of all is it possible to get the 5400HS to fire TTL? According to the spec sheet (above links) it doesn't seem so. If it is possible, how? I've switched the 5400HS to TTL mode and the Alpha 100 to Pre-flash TTL mode but the flash still fires fully every time - whichever metering mode I'm in. Am I going to have to upgrade? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

13. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

The ONLY Minolta flashguns which will work correctly with the Minolta and Sony digital SLRs are the 3600HS D and the 5600HS D. Note the D suffix. No others will work correctly.

14. einz

einz New Member

Thanks for the reply - so I feared. Oh well...

15. Roger_Provins

Check number of views on this thread ... 3326 .. incredible number!

16. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Rog,

There is also the Minolta 2500 D and there is a Metz gun (can't remember the model) that will also function with the Alphas

17. Roger_Provins

Yes there are Metz and Sigma guns (and probably other makes too) but I was only talking of Minolta. I confess I'd forgotten the 2500 D. Here is the compatibility chart.

18. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Sent me rushing to check my Minolta 3600HS. Yup, its a D :) and has always worked perfectly with my a900 although I have always wished I'd spent the extra bob or two on the 5600HS D. The moment I heard that Minolta was ducking out I went on a spending spree, only failed on their film scanner. :(