1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 380 secondhand.

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Thunderer, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

The A380 seems cheap second hand.
    Is this model known for particular problems occurring after a few years?
    Cheers
    Jeff

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Most older dslrs are cheap after a few years! One of the few exceptions is the Nikon D700. If you want an idea on longevity see how many failed ones are being sold on Ebay.

3. Thunderer

I was referring to relative cheapness. Ie the relative price to A390s which are the same as the A380 but a different shaped body and in relation to A 290s which are the same as the A390 except for not having live view and tilting screen.
    I don't have the patience to review Ebay listings!
    I think secondhand dslrs are quite expensive when the probability of failure is high Ie the probability of repeat purchases - I need one as a back up body having dropped the last one.
    Jeff

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The reliability of dslrs generally seems quite good all considered, as ever certain models develop certain faults. I know which make I think is the least reliable, but that is an opinion, not necessarily correct, but what do I know, I drive an Italian car!:)

5. Thunderer

My Italian cars have been wholly reliable even if a it rough around the edges! But on theother hand I do only 10,000 miles a year of leisure driving and get them serviced properly. My Sonys have a similar easy life ( except when' dropped ) so should last well.

6. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

The way I see it, the more pictures you take with digital cameras, the cheaper they are. I generally use the 35mm conversion factor of 1 shot = £0.33. That way, once I've had 1,500 shots from a £500 camera, it's cost free!

:cool:

7. Thunderer

That was nothing to do with the question.

Total cost can not be lessened by making more shutter activations.

Perhaps you just like to make oblique but irrelevant observations :)

But OK I now understand it is pretty much a waste of time asking a question.

Cheerio

8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It's what tends to happen on most forums!

With Sony cameras one problem that does seem to arise on occasions is the failure of the steadyshot system, but it doesn't seem as common as the mirror mechanism failing on Nikon entry level bodies.

A390s are actually relatively cheap as well, a local CEX has a clean example with kit lens at £190, looking at asking prices for lower level Nikons with lens this seems reasonable.