1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 24-105mm lens at Jessops ...

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Roger_Provins, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Half-price :)

Reasonably useful on APS but very useful on FF.

2. TallPaul

TallPaul Well-Known Member

Thats a good sign, sounds like the 24-105G will not be long before it finally appears then!

3. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Oh dear, I went out after lunch and walked past the camera shop thinking shall I or shall I not pop in and order the CZ 24-70. I put it off for another day and now you've raised another query in my mind. 24-105 would provide a nice overlap with my 70-300 and in the future with the 16-35. But would the extra aperture be a better bet, would the shorter zoom result in less optical compromises ..... ??? I should stop reading the forums :D

4. TallPaul

Who knows about any future 24-105/4 G... but I can say thay having handled but not owned the 24-70/2.8Z its definitely a different beast altogether.

I can't see how anyone with a 24-70 would be optically unhappy with it, it seems superb. It is built like a tank however, over a kilo (2.2 pounds in old money) and it may not be everyone's cup of tea for a walkaround lens.

I guess it depends if you need the lens now or can wait. It also depends if you think prices are coming down or going up! The Zeiss is £1150 on average at the moment, although RGB tech do it for under £1000 I believe. Its a big price for a big lens... any f4 alternative may be cheaper and lighter?

My advice is NOT to try the 24-70 in a shop.. you WILL want one ;)

5. LargeFormat

Roger and Paul, between them, are a very bad influence. Unfortunately my local shop, to whom I like to give my business, was £260.00 more than RGB Tech's £990 and couldn't give me any indication of a delivery date so I've taken the plunge as I think prices are going up, particularly from RGB's price.

Ever tolerant wife reminded me that I have a job that I need ( :D) the lens for.

6. TallPaul

Yes, I see from the main page of the AP website that Nikon have increased the already ludicrous price of the D3x from £5500 to £5999!

I placed an order for an A900 (no where has them, well no where at a good price has them) earlier this week with Park Cameras to secure a decent price ahead of the increases... that I assume are coming!

My better half also said it was "a good idea", I clearly have her on the right prescription ;)

7. Roger_Provins

I'm still dancing on the fence ... will the a900 go up? Will Sony do some sort of promotion, cash-back or whatever? What's going to appear at PMA in March? Do I even need the a900? :D

I don't normally dither .. I was a very early buyer of the a700 and a350 and paid the price ... I'd like to get a better deal this time :)

8. TallPaul

Ah, you see I am still shooting with my Konica Minolta 5D, which while trusty is starting to show its limitations in terms of AF performance and other features. If I had an A700 I am not sure I would be in a rush to upgrade, as you say PMA is not too far away but I am not sure the A900 will change much (unless the entire Alpha user base gets their Christmas wish for better JPEG quality in a firmware update!) but I think the A700 may get updated.

I quite like the simplicity of the A900, I would not want live view at the expense of the viewfinder (of course I would take both if it was technically possible), and video has no appeal to me - I would buy a video camera if I wanted that.

So coming up from a 5D it works for me, but if I were you with an A700 I would at least wait for the PMA rumours to start ;)

9. LargeFormat

I see the price at RGB is now £60.00 more for the 24-70CZ than when I ordered it last week so I think your assumption is right. :(

10. TallPaul

Well Park got their delivery, had a call Saturday. Unfortunately they would not let me collect in store Sunday (!) and would only send it out to be delivered citing credit card security.

This did not earn them any points with me... as now its at the mercy of the courier - and while I respect they need to be safe in their transactions if a customer is offering to come to the store with bills with their address on, passport etc, they should be able to work something out. Bad customer service, and my first order with them as well.

In any case... I think the prices are on the up.

How are you liking the 24-70? Are your biceps rippling out of your shirt yet carrying the weight? The quality is awesome from a play I had in a shop previously...

11. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I dreamt last night that at PMA this year,Sony released the A620 which is similar in spec to the A300 but with twice as many pixels :D

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Whereas I dreamed that they released an A320 which ended up in the Hudson River... :D

13. LargeFormat

I'm still waiting for it. :mad: :mad:

14. TallPaul

Ah, but number of days / £60 saving = happy

Maybe?!

15. TallPaul

Well Park did not improve on my experience by failing to deliver the camera, when I called they "forgot" it seems to dispatch it!

Anyway, long story happy, I picked it up yesterday. My 2GB CF's now seem very small so once my 16G card arrives I will be all set!

Back more on topic, lots more rumours of the 24-105/4G appearing at PMA this March, so perhaps this is why Jessops are selling through their existing stock...

16. LargeFormat

Then you'll find the 143Mb TIFFs from 36Mb RAWs very large. :D

17. TallPaul

Yes, and "Extra Fine" is a waste of time if you are looking to save space with Jpeg, as its almost the same size as raw!

My CF not arrived yet, picstop on back order... so its card swapping time for me at a relatives wedding tomorrow!

18. LargeFormat

Still waiting, quoting 2 - 3 weeks, price now gone up £114.00. :( £1409.00 at the Sony Shop.

19. LargeFormat

Just notified that the CZ 24-70 has been dispatched so should be with me tomorrow (with luck). I need something to make my cold bearable. :(. Anyway, a lot better than I'd feared on delivery and the good price makes up for the wait.

Daughter over here from Kenya is in the process of buying a 50D (traitor :D) but copped a 10% increase last week and stands a good chance of another on Sunday the way she is prevaricating. She might do better in dollars as she gets paid in that currency but might want to use up her GBP before they are completely worthless.

The CZ 16-35 (my final wish list item) is now being trailed but what it'll cost when it finally appears I shudder to think.

20. Roger_Provins

Should cheer you up :) let us know what you think of it.

... 'till next time :) :)